Best way to "break in" a SAA cylinder pin?

Lavan

Unfired Colt New Frontier.
All stiff. I'm thinking graphite. Maybe penetrating oil and a lot of spinning and disassembly.
That about it or try a light polish?

You say it’s unfired.
The thing to know is “why is it so stiff?”

If it has protective “grease” that has hardened or wasn’t lubricated for some reason, forcing the mechanisms is probably bad.

Not knowing any details, I would say “dose it good with Hornady One Shot and see what happens.”
If the action improves, then a more thorough detailed cleaning and lubrication is warranted.

Gentle polishing is okay if you know how to maintain right angles on parts and are the sort that is okay with under polishing gently by hand 10 times vs ham-fisting with a Dremel tool and ruining parts.

If it’s not broken, don’t fix it. Clean and lube first.

There is a tool made for just this purpose. They make them for Ruger, and Colt style single-actions, and there is one dual end for both. They're not cheap, I think they run 25-45 bucks, with the high price one being the double end one.

You can get them from Brownells. They call it a base pin puller, oddly enough.

I had the same problem with a USFA revolver. The tool did the job without a hitch.

I don't intend to polish any flats.
It's the cylinder pin that is so tight. Had same issue with a Blackhawk but didn't mind having to use pliers on that POS.

The Colt is purdy. ;)

Dang. Missed the nomenclature on the tool. Will check that out.

Thanks

Clean off all the "preservative" oil/grease and properly lube the gun. Cycle the action (with or without shooting) a few thousand times, and I'd bet it will be smoother than in its unfired, unworked current condition.

Every new gun I've had over the last half century has worked that way, gotten smoother/slicker with use. I expect yours will too.

Back