Best Used .22lr Large Framed Revolver?

jtduncan

I've been bit by the revolver craze.

I've got two large framed N-frame Smith & Wessons including a 610 and a 625, and a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag.

I'm looking for an accurate and durable similarly sized revolver in .22lr that is accurate out from 50 to 100 yards. I'd like it to be a trainer for those longer 50 to 80 yard shots on deer and hogs.

Maybe even for some long distance shooting, cheap DA trigger training and practice, and some cottontail blasting with the 22 revolver.

An easy choice would be the SW 617, or a K-framed Model 17. I love the smoothness that can be obtained on a Smith action. Are they are to find used?

But Ruger also makes a nice gun. So what about the Ruger SP101? Do they make a 5 or 6" model.

If you were looking in the used market, what prices would you see on these guns?

For a truely large frame .22 revolver, best bet is a Dan Wesson Model 22 or 722 if you prefer stainless. These .22's are built on the DW small frame, (comparable to a S&W "L" frame). Barrel lengths run from 2-1/2 to 10 inches.
The last Model 22 I purchased used about a year and a half ago was like new, with the 8 inch full lug heavy barrel. Took it out the door for $200 cash. Excellent shooter. Did have the action tuned a hair to my liking though it was pretty good standard.
Take Care

The "holy grail" of such is supposed to be the old Colt "Officer's Match" in 22LR, 1950's era. These were 6" barrel sixguns that used the same frame size as the Python and are compatible with Python grips. I've seen one in .22LR, several in .38, never shot one but the triggers on various Officer's Match guns I've been lucky enough to fondle were phenominal. Most were in .38Spl and those too were incredibly accurate, but the .22LR is supposed to be something to see.

That .22LR Officer's Match I saw, the dealer wanted $700.

Colt Diamondbacks in .22LR are more common, less pricey and also have a great rep.

jt,

I can highly recomend the Dan Wesson .22. I've had one for quite a few years (20+) and it is a truely quality revolver.

Accuracy is unsurpassed!!

Good Luck...

Joe

Back