Best trousers for the field?

SIGarmed

I like Levi's and all of my old ones are now just falling apart, not to mention the Levi company is anti-gun. This pretty much rules out new Levi's.
What brands and types of trousers have you found to be good for hiking, outdoor activities and such?

I always wear BDU's in the field. Unless its cold then i'll wear Field pants with the cold weather liner.

Levi's

There are lots of companys out there than market "Levi's" style pants,and a darn sight cheaper.
"LEVI'S" done went yuppy.

As "Levi's" are "the uniform of the day" for ranchers in Wyoming, that's all that is allowed, but darn few of us wear "LEVI'S" anymore.

There is a practical reason why most of us don't wear BDU's or Dockers or others.

It has little to do with style, it is simply that they don't fit a horse like Levis styles do.

If your britches don't fit a saddle out here, you're in a world of hurt, if you know what I mean.They are also less prone to gettin' hung up when you straddle a "bobwire" fence too.....

Check out Carhart, Dickies, and Walmart usually has some imitations that aren't too bad..
Wranglers if you think you got a nice butt and are trolling the watering holes..

;)

LL Bean makes several types of lined jeans. I have a pair that are stonewased and are lined with a layer of green fleece. I use theese when traveling to colder climates and find they hold up great. They also make a pair of Khaki cargo pocket pants lined with flannel.

Carhartt is definitely top for durability. I have one of their jackets and would venture to say that it's dang near bulletproof.

Royal Robbins seem to be well-built, but I haven't been able to get the true skinny on them yet. I'll report when I beaten them satisfactorily.

BDU's just seem too "wannabe" for me. I like them, but I just can't seem to bring myself to wear them. Though, I have seen catalogs with milspec clothing from other nations that would fit the bill as they aren't cut the same. Kinda like RR 5.11's look milspec, but aren't.

Carhartt has my vote.

llbean for jeans, khakis (dress or casual style)
Duckhead
carhart
filsons

Levis makes the dockers -so no buy for me.

about to wear out/run out the boot cut levis. 15 yrs or so ago bought 20 + pairs. Not a shopper, and can get online cheaper than local, and I don't do malls. Don't do wannabe stuff either.

Good britches that fit, breathing room and last for me.

Stop missing out and get yourself some Royal Robbins 5.11. Just ordered two more pair from Brad at Lightfighter.com for $38 a pair. They are awesome. Not to mention the are very "tactical" LOL.

Erick, I liked what I saw on the rack, but I'm still leary. If there is one thing that will put a pair of pants to the test, it's armored car work. Armor plating is very rough on clothes, especially pants of organic origin. Polyester doesn't fair too well, but it seems to last longer than cotton, regardless of the weave.

Gimme a month or two and I'll be surprised if there aren't any holes or torn seams.

Back