Best tasting quarry ?

ATeaM

If your were choosing what to hunt based on quality of meat alone, what would it be ? I heard European boar is supposed to be the best tasting game.

ATeaM < (getting bored of beef and chicken)

Almosy anything wild (properly prepared) beats hormone/drug injected styrofoam like commercial meat.

When I was in Germany the boar was usually served with a heavy gravy. The gravy's quality was such that you probably could have put it on wood chips and had a decent meal. :D

I consistantly enjoy good venison. The does seem to taste a bit better than bucks, but not by much.

IMHO the secret to good wild game starts when you field dress the critter asap and get the meat chilled. I even do this on doves - gut'm on the spot and get'm on ice. Makes a world of difference.

Never eaten European boar, but I can vouch for good 'ole American feral hog - delicious!
Quail & Pheasant are my favorites - never have developed a taste for dove, reminds me too much of liver.

#1 Best game meat I've ever had was Gemsbuck.
#2 A tender young bull Elk or a dry cow.
#3 Feral hog.

Have you ever noticed the harder you work for it the better it tastes?

My vote #1 is wild hog and #2 is deer backstrap fried with bacon and onions, especially if the bacon is from #1.

jmbg29 I've heard stories about moose nose. I hear you can give a slice of it to the dogs on Friday and they'll still be chewing it on Sunday. :p

Well everyone likes different things, but I think that MeekAndMild is getting close..................its hard to beat fresh backstrap and hog is good too....................now when you mix the 2 and make a batch of good fresh deer sausage made of 50% deer and 50% pork with a Cajun touch on the seasoning and smothering .............................. :D

Damn I got to go check the deer roast I am cooking now.............. make sure it don't burn!

Turkey was great! Maranated overnight in Italian dressing, cooked on the grill. Wasn't quite as good as the one we ate while hunting; maranated in beer, cooked over a bed of mesquite coals.
Made some venision jerky today too, can't seem to get enough of that!

Limpopo Bushbuck was the tastiest game meat I've ever tried. Even cold the next day on sandwiches it was good.

Back