best tactical rifle in large cal

souther33

Im in the market for a new tactical rifle. I want it ether in a 50 or a 338 lapua whats everyone preference on those caliber. I'm considering auto but leaning more for bolt action. I've looked at macmillan and berret. dose anyone have experience with any other options. price is around 8k give or take.

Last edited:
To be used for what?

You say "tactical" rifle, do you mean a light weight easily deployable weapon that can be carried for days if need be?

If so, neither of your caliber choices are well suited to that purpose.

If you mean "tacticool", where how the weapon looks vs it's practical use, then I would say, of your choices a Barret 50 semi would fit the bill well and have that impressive factor amongst the other shooters.

Unless you are considering lots of 1000yd+ shooting, this is more of a conversation/"that's cool" piece, correct?
If that's the case, then go with what fits your fancy/budget.

ok to expand upon my post. I am looking for a rifle that I could take 1000-2000 yard shots with. I'm not going to be dragging this rifle around the woods. I have a 300 win mag that I know can shoot 800 yards comfortably. I like the idea of continuous fire not having to throw another round in the chamber. but will that effect accuracy. I don't see it as much for the 50 but what about the 338. I have no experience with 50BMG or 338 Lapua, although I loaded them for customers everyday. why I chose those calibers was the fact that there becoming readily available to the public. and come on people if I'm asking for a tactical rifle in a 50 or 338 this will not be an light weight easily deployable weapon. I'm wanting people who have used these weapons that can tell me what they like and don't like about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever successfully shot an intended target over 500 yards?

If so, just go with whatever you did that with, only bigger.

If not, either try it and see how it goes, or just buy what ever you think looks cool.

Price wise... Value/power ratio in a tactical rifle.

91-30 mosin Nagant

Lol jk

I got nuthin

Well... they are graduated to 2000 meters. It wasn't in American Sniper and you certainly won't frame the receipt, but it's cool!

:D

In all seriousness, didn't Savage make a rifle under $1000 in .338? I vaguely remember it, will try to find the name in a sec.

Edit: found out, Savage 110 FCP, but it's $1250. They get pretty good reviews. I can't seem to find one under a thousand though.

The ballistics of both of these are readily available online. Alexander Arms makes a semi in .338 LM, not aware of any others.

Since you said you loaded these for customers you already know they ain't cheap to shoot.

I've spent nearly a $ grand on components alone for the .338 LM - and still shopping for the rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the ArmaLite AR-50.
Have owned mine since 2006 and use it in FCSA Match competitions at 1000 yards. My smallest group so far is 5-shots under 5 inches center-to-center at 1000 yards with stock barrel.

I recently re-barreled the AR-50, and have continued shooting matches, usually winning or placing Second in one or more classes of competition.
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq141/09oldman/FCSA-Alliance-Spring-2014/009.jpg

Please refer to: www.fcsa.org for more info and to observe the picture gallery.

I also have a State Arms Shorty with a tactical stock including bipod & monopod. Photo below shows with a 21" barrel that I fluted later for even more weight reduction. I shot from shoulder after removing bipod & monopod, it was "usable" but loud. Recoil was reduced due to AR-50 brake.

Full Match ammo using Lehigh brass solids 510-170's, V.V. 20N29 powder, CCI#35 primers costs me $3.25 each. Loading using surplus military components, I can reload for $0.73 per round using AP's, H5010, CCI#35. I have loaded surplus with cost ranges of $0.70 to $2.05 per round - sad part is with my new Match chamberings, I cannot chamber the surplus rounds and am seriously considering selling about 1000+ rounds.

Last edited:
I'm wanting people who have used these weapons that can tell me what they like and don't like about them.

What I like: they are a blast to shoot, for a few rounds anyways.

What I don't like: ammo costs are a beast, overpressure from shooting them is worse than the recoil after a few shots (if not for you then for everyone around you), and they don't give you any real ballistic advantage over the 300 Win Mag under 1000 meters.

But it is your money. If I had to get one, it would probably be in 375 Rum pushing the 350gr SMK, or in 338 Norma Magnum with a 300 SMK. Not that I'd turn down a 50, just that it wouldn't be my first choice.

Jimro

If you're talking extreme long range, .375 Cheytac will do it. They've hit 1 MOA targets at 3600 yards with this caliber before.

The gun can also be swapped to .50 BMG or .416 Barrett by the user

We all NEED a 50 or a 338, and if you have the cash, then by all means, DO IT. Barret has some nice offerings these days that aren't overly large. But I think the word "tactical" is a tough thing to achieve, especially in the 50cal. My voice for a "tactical" long range rifle would be a 300 win mag remmy 700 with a a nice long barrel and a 20+x scope. Think murigan sniper.

yep

This^^^^^^.
Certainly broadens the choice.

If you're talking extreme long range, .375 Cheytac will do it. They've hit 1 MOA targets at 3600 yards with this caliber before.
Two miles..Who are "they"?
One MOA at 3600 yards is 36 inches...wonder what sights were used?
Pete

Last edited:
Check out King of 2 Mile competition to be held this year on July 1st & 2nd at the NRA Whittington Center near Raton NM.

375 CheyTac is a good choice ----- but I know of 2 special builds of 50BMG rifles that will compete.

I will be there.

www.fcsa.org
Also some info on Facebook.

I'd go with the 50 but that's just me. As for why? I go for heavier bullets over faster bullets. But in the end it's all just personal preference.

Back