Best Source for Federal GameKing/MatchKing .308

I woould like tp know thos too. Like Rich I find my .308 has a voracious appetite.

[This message has been edited by Hard Ball (edited January 27, 2000).]

Component bullets?
You mean like in reloading?
You mean like in work?
Not this month.

Nope. I'm looking for the whole enchilada.

Federal GameKing/MatchKing bullets. Powder? It's in there. Primer? It's in there. Sierra bullet? It's in there.

Rich

CO$T of the 165gr sierra game king in federal premium ammo was THE REASON I started reloading.

NO BETTER factory ammo available IMHO, and my reloading recipe so very very close to factory results from a 30-06.

Good luck,

Try natchez, ron shirk, and the sportsman's guide too

Dr.Rob

The cheapest I have found it is with Bob Swanson /520-721-4066 . He has the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 BTHP at $325 per case [500 rounds]. Good luck , Mike...

It's going to be hard to beat $325/case. Ammoman has some good prices - $375 to $389 per case. And they have the added benefit of free (or rather, included) shipping.

Rich , you might also try Hoplite/502-955-5014 , he usually has the Remington PSS's in stock and the GMM to feed them . Good luck , Mike...

Yeah, that Fed. Prem. Gold Medal 168 is the stuff. Someday, I'll get to buy it ready-made, instead of cookin' up my own batches like Dr. Rob.

Hey-- I went to the Ammoman site, and checked out their deals on cheapo .308. Who's used the 1984 vintage NATO .308 147g packed in sealed 50 cal cans? It looks like a pretty nifty deal at $89/can of 400 or $86 per for multiple cans:
308-nato-british.jpg

What'd'ya think? They claim it's non-corrosive, and I'm inclined to believe them. Any likelyhood of this stuff beating 1.5 MOA?

Long Path, chances are slim and none!! It is not that bad, but it is not primo stuff either. Probably do OK at 100-200yds, but spread out beyond that pretty quickly. I do not remember the exact spec. but believe the mil-spec for accuracy with the stuff was something in the area of 3" at 100. If you are shoot'n at bad guys, it would work fine.
The price you paid seems to be a good value though.

AIM Surplus has some Hirtenberger 147 grain Boat Tail Match steel core [I pulled one to verify and it is a boat tail] for $170 per 1000 in 200 round rubber battle packs . I bought some and it shoots 1 3/8" @100 yards from my model 700 , it is super clean ammo . The most accurate ammo I have tried in my 700 is the Federal Premium 150 grain Ballistic Tip [5/8"@100], it outshoots the Gold Medal Match by 3/16" consistently out of my rifle . Good luck , Mike...

At one time Cascade had the best prices on MatchKing 308 and I got a butload of it. I'm down to my last 6 boxes though and starting to look around. In Shotgun News Hoplite always has the lowest prices for a case. They come strongly recommend but I've never purchased from them.

Picked up a can of Roadway Green NATO 308 ball for $69.00 in Dec to use as plinking ammo in my PSS. So far it seems to be right at 1moa, much better than the Calvin 308 I was using before. Looks like I should have picked up a couple more cans if ammoman has them for $89 a can.

I believe Hoplite Inc. has Federal Gold Label 175gr. .308 for $310/case. A good deal, and worth checking into unless you've totally intent on the 168gr. bullet.

Back