Best source for 18 or 20 inch 870 barrels?

Correia

I'm interested in getting another barrel for my 870. It currently has a 30 inch ribbed barrel, but I would like to get a short barrel with rifle sights on it. That way I can just use my good old hunting gun for HD. (Figured that I would move up in the world from just having a handgun ready).

Anybody know of any good sources for these? I would like to keep the cost down, or is this one of those things that I'm just going to have to wander around the gunshows until I get lucky?

I suggest that you try Ultimate Outdoors: http://www.ultout.com/remingtonarms-extrabarrels&choketubes.htm

If you find two similar barrels, whereas the only difference is that the cheaper is marked "BP," it stands for Bulk Pack. The barrels are identical, but packaged differently. I asked Cliff Hanks, the owner of Ultimate Outdoors, about this point recently. If available, go with the BP-marked barrel.

Oh, and he seems to have the best prices.

Try B&M Specialties @ 317.291.6558 who advertises in Gun List under "Barrels for Sale". I bought an 18" 870 barrel last year for $85 + shipping. The only downside was it had a 2 3/4" chamber, which can be made into a 3" chamber by a competent smith if you want it.

You can also try Cabela's. I picked up an 18.5" plain barrel w/ bead sight for ~$80. They also have a selection of 20" w/ rifle sights. Some of the barrels are made by Mossberg for Rem 870 shotguns (which mine was), but the quality seems excellent. (I've read on this forum that the mossberg barrels are actually made by Remington anyway and just stamped for sale by Mossberg, what a marketing plan)
good luck.

Ouch. :eek:

Thanks everybody for the info, I figured that they would be much cheaper. I may just have to buy a used 870 for around $250 than just a barrel for half that. I guess you can never have to many 870s laying around anyway. But I still need to call that second number, that is my last option, hopefully they will have something.

Does Remington make a 18" rifle sited barrel for the 870?? I know they make one for the 1187,,,,will they interchange??

Yes, Remington makes an 18" rifle sighted barrel for the 870 and no, they are not interchangable with the 11-87.

The problem with the 18" RS barrel is that Remington does not "spare" them. They are only available with a Police Magnum. I know someone who has them, but they are quite expensive. Supply and demand, you know.

IMO, you'd be better off getting a whole shotgun instead of just another bbl.

First, any zero you get with slugs or even buck will disappear the minute you remove the bbl.

Second, taking all that stuff off and on gets old. if you're planning on adding things like GR sights and SideSaddles, it gets older,faster.

Third,well, who needs an excuse to pick up another 870(G)?....

Dave McC, I replaced the 24" vented rib barrel on my 870 express with a 20" plain barrel years ago...what does this imply with respect to the "zero" you talk about (forgive this neophyte...)

Rom, no apology needed, we all have to start sometime.

And, if anyone's embarrassed about asking any question publicly, E me. I do not mind. Plenty of folks helped me, and I like passing it along...

Zero is more of a slug thing. If I took my Deer 870s' bbl off and immediately replaced it, whether it would shoot to the same place is long odds.Rezeroing would probably be mandatory.

As for going from one bead sighted bbl to another, POI might change, but usually not enough to affect your shooting.IOWm if you were hammmering them before, you'll probably hammer them after.

This is another place where patterning comes in. I've seen shotguns hit two feet off from POA at 40 yards,and the owners had no idea WHY they couldn't keep them in the right Zip Code..

Well, the embarassment comes from the recent realization that 10+ years of ownership of firearms amount to a hill of beans when it comes to understanding them and knowing really how to use them...

So now I begin...and thanks

Hunc Coepi

Rom, it's an open ended process, and one can stop anywhere along the line. Wife's no gun fan, but she's pragmatic. So, she knows well how to operate a 38 revolver and there's a first model Trooper here with her fingerprints all over it.

And, the more I learn the more I'm amazed to learn there is to learn.

Back