Best snubbie/pocketpistol for competition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticBoy

Inactive
Ehh, no that's not necessarily a contradiction in terms, at least not in my northern corner of Europe. All possesion of firearms must be for either hunting or competition, so many of our national "Field Target" competitions therefore have its own division for snubrevolvers and pocketpistols.

I already shoot in the divisions "fine" (.22) with my Hammerli 208 and "military" (>9mm) with my SIG 226. I'm also in the process of buying a .357 revolver for the "revolver" division. This will probably be a tricked out S&W with a custom 5" barrel.

Anyway, the "snub/pocket" division is where I can't make up my mind. The Walther PPs and PPKs in .32ACP are popular, but the ones shooting snubrevolvers seem to have a defininite advantage when it comes to reliablity.

Any thoughts? Snubrevolver or pocketpistol?
And: Which snub/pistol?

(The revolver must be a pure .38, as we are only allowed to own one handgun in "each calibre". To the somewhat ignorant policewoman at my local firearms-office, the calibers .357mag and .38 are as different as day and night :) )

I've already been offered to buy a S&W 60 snub. Any thoughts on this model?

TIA

ArcticBoy
Norway

[This message has been edited by ArcticBoy (edited September 13, 1999).]

I'm gonna recommend the Kahr K-9 and mk-9 again for this division. The K-9 might be a little big, but make sure to check before you rule it out. Is there a caliber restriction?

Ben

I have had great luck with my Walther PP in .32 ACP and with the barrel mounted to the frame they are very accurate. I do not know what pistol qualifies for this class, but if it is based on barrel length, a 2.5"(?) Colt Python is one of the most accurate snubs out there. You could have your revolver division pistol done as a .38 Spec on a S&W K-frame.

I have had EXCELLENT luck using my Taurus 85 UL in single-action for distances up to 25m. at 21ft, one-hole targets are definitely possible. If you plan to shoot double-action much, I'd go with a S&W. Oh, and get a steel, not an alloy gun.

If it is not too large, a Makarov is surprisingly accurate (though I might want better sights for speed of acquisition) with 90-grain ammo (such as CCI Blazer) and very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back