Best scope for Savage model 24 223-12 ga.

bamiller

Just bought a Savage Model 24 O&U 223-12 ga. and want to scope it. What's the best value in a scope for this gun?

Have you ever shot a shotgun with a scope? Low magnification or no magnification. Maybe red dot for fast target acquisition. I would stick with irons. But have fun learning what you can and can not do with a scoped shotgun.

Not sure just what this combo offers. Maybe coyote or garden pest control. Does not sound like something of interest to me. If scoped, perhaps a Redfield product would do the job.
Otherwise iron sights should be good enough.

Interesting concept with the 223/12 gauge. At most a low power scope like a 3-9. At best a red dot. Both should work, I have a red dot on my shotgun and a 3-9X40 on my AR (223).

Good luck and have fun with it.
Jim

Just off the cuff, I'd guess a variable, 1x5 power. 1X if using the shotgun. 2 to 5 if using the rifle.

Trouble is, you may well have two different points of impact if the rifle and shotgun barrels are not regulated adequately.

The best of both worlds ??

This post, is interesting and I guess, I would lean toward the highest power, up to a 9, in a long eye relief. I'm not worried about where the shotgun shoots, I can always work that out. Just want to take advantage of the .223 performance. I'm thinking Pro-Diamond or Circle reticle. Recently I saw a 2-7 with illuminated reticles that looked pretty neat but did not define the eye-relief. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Been doing a little research since my original post and am currently looking at either a Leupold VX-2 3-9X40, Redfield Revolution 3-9x40, or a Nikon Prostaff. The scope is mainly for the 223 barrel but I need to make sure whatever scope I get will withstand the recoil of the 12 ga. shotgun. Any constructive opinions or other suggestions?

Since it is a shotgun also, I would suggest getting a large reticle for field of view. The larger the better. x50 would be better than x40. It would work better in the shotgun mode. Following moving game in a scope is a bit tricky, so the larger will help.
Sight in the firearm by using the .223. The shotgun will pretty much take care of itself.

I have a 2.5 power on my C24 .22LR over 20ga. It will shoot 4" groups at 100 yards with 20 gauge slugs.

I'd probably go with a 1-5 or 2-7 on yours.

Boomer

I sold one of those recently. Decent gun but you have to be aware of its limitations. You will NOT be able to use one scope setting for both the rifle and shotgun unless you get very lucky and the barrels just accidentally happen to be well regulated. The vast majority don't have well regulated barrels so their points of impact will be vastly different.

On mine, I used a sight-thru mount and put taller front and rear sights on it to show over the scope base. That way, I could sight in the rifle with the scope and the shotgun (with turkey loads) using the iron sights.

I sold one of those recently. Decent gun but you have to be aware of its limitations. You will NOT be able to use one scope setting for both the rifle and shotgun unless you get very lucky and the barrels just accidentally happen to be well regulated. The vast majority don't have well regulated barrels so their points of impact will be vastly different.

On mine, I used a sight-thru mount and put taller front and rear sights on it to show over the scope base. That way, I could sight in the rifle with the scope and the shotgun (with turkey loads) using the iron sights.

I didn't think of the barrels not matching up issue but it makes sense. I'll probably take your suggestion and use the scope for the 223 barrel and the iron sights for the 12 ga. Can I ask why you sold yours?

Can I ask why you sold yours?

Sure. I bought it specifically as a Florida turkey gun. Here, you are allowed to use a rifle for turkey plus you never know when you'll call in a coyote have a hog pop out of the woods.

I'm getting ready to move to Mississippi and they don't allow possession of a rifle while turkey hunting (unless you have certain medical limitations). I decided that the free'd up cash would be better used to buy a crossbow.

If you want magnification I'd say a 2.5x fixed power. And it better be of decent quality or it won't hold zero with the recoil of the 12 ga. Also I'd want a generous amount of eye relief.

But...

If Williams or somebody makes a peep style sight for it that's what I'd go with.

The more I think about that .223/12ga combo, the more I am at a loss for an idea of what I personally would do with it if I had one. But it's still cool ;)

I put the lowest set of see through mounts I could find on mine and set the open sights for one barrel and use the scope for the other barrel. How ever, mine's a 20" barreled 22lr over 20g, so .22 subsonics trajectory closely matches a 5/8 oz 20 gauge slug to 100 yards. Close enough for raccoon too dear sized animals anyway.

Boomer

The more I think about that .223/12ga combo, the more I am at a loss for an idea of what I personally would do with it if I had one. But it's still cool

Sitting in a tree stand hunting deer with a slug in the 12 ga. barrel when a coyote pops up 200 yards out. Besides do we really need a reason to have a another gun, especially one that is a little different :).

Thanks for clarifying what you will be using it for. I think most folks would like a purpose-built deer gun and let the coyote go, but your situation might be different. I think the Savage 24s are great survival guns, best used as bug-out guns, truck guns, or cached backups.

I would go with a simple 4 X optimized for the .223, but try hard to get a quick-detachable arrangement to switch to the shotgun mode.

Decided to go with a 3-9 X 40mm scope for use with the 223 mounted on see-thru mounts so I can use the iron sights for the 12 ga. Just have to pick out a manufacturer now. Leaning towards a Redfield. Anyone had any experience with them?

I would go with a simple 4 X optimized for the .223, but try hard to get a quick-detachable arrangement to switch to the shotgun mode

Probably not an option. The only base I could find for one was a Weaver.

I have and have had some Redfields. Fine for my needs and no problems with them. They were installed and zeroed without incident and held zero during use. Decent brand and not overly costly.
And thanks for clarifying your intended use. I wasn't thinking in terms of see-thru scope rings for the 12ga & deer then scope for .223 coyotes. Makes sense. I've been in situations where coyotes crossed my path but I was not geared up with the right gun or round.

Last edited:
Back