Best scope for Bushmaster Shorty?

buzz_knox

What is the most efficient (i.e. economical in terms of size and cost) scope for a XM15E2? Is Colt's scope worth looking at?
This is for plinking/use as a ranch rifle/defense against marauding hordes/what have you.

Assuming this has the fixed carry handle, the problem you are going to run into is that with the carry handle mounts, the scope ends up mounted too high and you'll need some kind of cheek piece added to the buttstock to get your eye up high enough. Then, if you remove the scope, the cheekpiece will have your head up too high to use the iron sights.

As a ranch rifle, a flat top, with the scope mounted on quick-release rings would be a much better solution. Then buy a seperate detachable carry handle to be mounted in place of the scope for defense use.

Thanks. But, that begs the next question: what's the best flat upper? I've always thought about converting it to M4 standard (minus the M203 of course). Any thoughts on who puts out a nice one? I've seen Bushmaster's, but was wondering if Armalite's would work as well.

Also, any experience with pistol caliber uppers?

The Colt M4 upper is very nice and, with the removable carry handle version, would handle all the roles you want in your rifle. One downside is that the Colt upper has the full-size front sight base which will stick up in front of your scope. In theory this would suck but in practice it isn't too bad. The sight base fuzzes out so much that you can barely notice it.

Another downside with the M4 upper would be if you wanted a super accurate rifle. In that case, you'd be better off with a match conditioned upper (24" stainless match barrel and free-floated handguard). If you already have the XM15E2, keep its upper as the defense gun and buy a Bushmaster's V-Match for the flat-top upper, for example. Or buy the Armalite upper. Any of the AR vendor's flat-tops will fit your lower and the sky's the limit on how much you could spend if you really got serious.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited January 25, 2000).]

Buzz-I think I can help. My first AR-15 was the XM15E2 in 16" just like what you're talking about. I mounted a Colt 4x on it (great minds think alike) and the results are fantastic. Half inch groupes at 100 yrds. with reloads laying prone. I used to use a cheek rest but it just got in the way more than it helped. A tip to get repeat zero is when attaching the Q/D scope is to slide it all the way forward so that when the pin goes thru the handle it finds the same spot each time. See, the hole in the handle is a little bigger than the dia. of the set screw. This also helps the one down side of this set up which is the A2 sights will make contact with the scope if set above the two hundred meters. I briefly replaced this combo with a Trijicon Reflex sight w/ forward mount but ended up getting another AR-15 but A3 flat top this time for the Reflex sight. I love the sight but is a lot harder to shoot small groups with (has the 6.5 moa and does cover a lot of the target). It's made for quick combat shooting and it's so fast coming on target night or day. The dot just floats above the front sight and they don't interfer with each other. I also have a pinned in place collaspible CAR stock on it. It's amazingly solid and it's as close to a M4 one can get without dropping a huge chunk of change.Don't let anybody tell you that 16" barrels aren't accurate. They are so much more handy to carry.I wouldn't trade 'em for both for anything.

Buzz-I think I can help. My first AR-15 was the XM15E2 in 16" just like what you're talking about. I mounted a Colt 4x on it (great minds think alike) and the results are fantastic. Half inch groups at 100 yrds. with reloads laying prone. I used to use a cheek rest but it just got in the way more than it helped. A tip to get repeat zero is when attaching the Q/D scope is to slide it all the way forward so that when the pin goes thru the handle it finds the same spot each time. See, the hole in the handle is a little bigger than the dia. of the set screw. This also helps the one down side of this set up which is the A2 sights will make contact with the scope if set above the two hundred meters. I briefly replaced this combo with a Trijicon Reflex sight w/ forward mount but ended up getting another AR-15 but A3 flat top this time for the Reflex sight. I love the sight but is a lot harder to shoot small groups with (has the 6.5 moa and does cover a lot of the target). It's made for quick combat shooting and it's so fast coming on target night or day. The dot just floats above the front sight and they don't interfear with each other. I also have a pinned in place collaspible CAR stock on it. It's amazingly solid and it's as close to a M4 one can get without dropping a huge chunk of change.Don't let anybody tell you that 16" barrels aren't accurate. They are so much more handy to carry too.I wouldn't trade 'em for both for anything.

Back