Best scope for a Pre-64 model 70 Winchester

I'm torn between a very good scope made recently and an old Weaver, Lyman Alaskan or maybe Redfield for my model 70 Winchester made in 1950. 270 Winchester chambering.

On the one hand would like very good optics and on the other would kinda like to mount a scope made back in the 50s.

Did Weaver and Redfield make a 4X back then with a dot reticule?

I had an old Weaver 3-9 on my pre-64 model 70... Compared to any of my other optics it was like looking through a haze at high power... It now wears a leupold VX-iii..

If the rifle is meant to actually be used for hunting, then you should put a modern scope on it. Scopes have improved dramatically in the last 5 decades.

Otherwise, if his gun is just meant for collecting, then it would be OK to put an old scope on it.

Don't worry about using a period correct scope on that rifle. While some good scopes were made back then they don't compare to what is made today. Do yourself a favor and put a 2.5-8X36 Leupold VX3 or 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest on top of your rifle and go hunting. JMO

Weaver is making some dern good scopes again. I put a 4X on my Model 70 Featherweight, its clear, accurate, and holds up well, reasonabley priced also.

Got to MidwayUSA and type weaver fixed scopes in the search block.

why not a used Leupold

You might consider a used Leupold, fixed 4x, maybe even a 6x for the flat shooting .270.

They can be had fairly cheap on ebay, Leupold will honor their warranty, and an older model should be vintage enough to suit your want of a certain look.

Oh yeah, for a modest fee, Leupold may very well be able to put what reticle you want in it, if the scope is not too old.

Back