Best scope for a 22LR?

Deja vu

I have been building my dream 22LR for hunting ground rats. I have most every thing picked out (not bought yet other than the suppressor).

I need to know what scopes work best.

Also how would one of those Holographic sights work? I have seen them with 3MOA and smaller dots. Would those work well at 60ish yards? I am trying to keep the gun really light.

If the holographic sight is out of the question what glass would you recommend? I looking for some thing less than $400.00

I understand that typically subsonic ammo is the most accurate? Is that true?

I am a fan of these air rifle scopes...

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Winchester_3_9x32_Rifle_Scope_Duplex_Reticle_1_Tube_3_8_Rings/1228

winchester-4x32.jpg

Being able to handle the abuse of spring powered air rifles makes them very solid performers on rim fire rifles...

Mine was on a savage bolt action .22 when I rolled an SUV several times... all of my weapons were thrown VIOLENTLY out the broken windows... My .22 synthetic stock was split from the bolt handle cutout to the trigger guard and the thing was still dead nuts on zero...

Cannot say the same for the scope that was on the Marlin 336 it was never a tight grouping scope after the crash...

There is an identical scope labeled as Daisey since Daisey had bought the air rifle rights to the Winchester name...
Brent

Reddots work like crap on small game beyond short range IMO. Tried one a hunting gun and while great for fast moving coon it sucked for squirrel hunting. Other than that "best" is gonna be defined by your budget. I like 2-7x scopes in the $150 range on my rimfires and avoid AO like it's the plague. My main hunting .22 wears a 2-7x Redfield.

DSCN0802.jpg

A 2-7X or 1-4X on the low powers is just as fast as a red dot up close without the downsides. The 2-7X Redfield is a good choice. This would work well enough to 60 yards and is around 8 oz. http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-4x20-VX-1-ShotgunMuzzleloader-Scope-P51851.aspx if you are trying to go light. No reason to spend much more for the recoil and ranges you will be shooting with a rimfire.

If you really want a red dot, consider a conventional scope with an illuminated reticle. http://swfa.com/Leupold-125-4x20-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48030.aspx More than I'd pay, and a bit over your $400 budget, but a good scope.

I understand that typically subsonic ammo is the most accurate? Is that true?

Usually, but not always. My CZ shoots subsonic target ammo more accurately, but my Ruger 10-22's like the CCI Mini-mags better. At least better than the Wolf or Ely ammo that I shoot through the CZ. You'll just have to experiment with your rifle.

EER and scout scopes are a bad idea tossed around by otherwise intelligent people. Oh, and a bunch of kool-aid drinkers too. For all practical purposes they are not any faster than LOW POWERED scopes mounted in the traditional fashion and they suffer from poor feild of veiw.

My two favorite .22 LR scopes are a 2-7 and a plain old fixed 4x. nothing to fiddle with just zero and shoot it.

For most of my life, I've used 3-9x40mm scopes on .22 LRs and .22 WMRs. They work, but I almost always set them at 4x or 5x, and leave it there.

Last year, I ran a 2-7x33mm Redfield on my 77/22 for a little while. It was nice... but not quite what I wanted. And, I still set it at 4x or 5x, and left it.
(I like the scope, just not on that rifle.)

In the end, I went for simplicity and clarity.
I wouldn't recommend the brand, but I am becoming a bigger believer in fixed-power scopes.
The 77/22 now wears a Tasco Pronghorn (centerfire) 4x32mm. When I have some spare change, it'll be replaced by a higher quality fixed-power scope (like a Leupold FX-3, if possible).

Hogdogs mention of springer-rated air gun scopes does open some other options, though.

Im a huge fan of Mueller scopes (muelleroptics.com) Decent selection, super high quality, good prices, fast to ship. For sure worth spending a few minutes on their website to check it out.

Back