Best SA/DA compact 9mm?

Dave R

I love my HP clone, but may want something smaller for CCW. Tried some Glocks and a Kel-Tek PT-11. Hate the DAO trigger pull! Anybody make a SA/DA (true double action) 9mm in the same size range that I should look at?

The closest would probably be the *&* CS-9, 3913/3913LS, or the SIG P-239. The Kahr has a pretty decent DA trigger in that size class; takes less getting used to than the Glock unit.

The new CZ-75B Compact is a little larger, but still manageable.

Personally, I got rid of my Kel-Tec P-11 (not a bad gun, but the DAO trigger is a hard one to master) and got a Star Firestar Plus. About the same size as the P-11, 7-8 ozs. heavier, up to 13 rounds, etc. (The Firestar Plus has the alloy frame, which makes it acceptable. The regular Firestars have steel frames, and are they ever heavy!)

The only problem --for some folks -- is that its single-action only, ala 1911. But, the truth is, I have yet to find a gun that really does the DA/SA transition well. (My CZ 85 Combat, after a trigger job, is about as good as I've found, but I still prefer to shoot it from cocked and locked.)

Got the Firestar Plus a pawnshop, in ANIB condition, for $129. You won't even find a used Kel-Tec for that price.
(You probably won't find a Firestar Plus, either. I think they had the gun badly mispriced...)

da/sa probably Smith CS9 or Sig 239.
Try a Glock 26 with a trigger job if you can find someone with it.

CZ75 PCR

While looking for gun that fits your needs, do not forget to check out the CT75 PCR - alloy framed compact with decocker. Very comfortable with it standard neoprene grips, pretty handy and precise too, holds 13 round in the mag + one in the chamber! (using the standars compact mags from CZ75B compact, which is pre-ban I guess)

I prefer the SIG 225 over the 239.

As Tamara suggests, you should check out a Kahr K9, I am told the only thing the designers consciously stole from another design was the HP grip contours, although obviously reduced. Is is DAO though, but if you like the HP it might be worth it.

As I found out when I started looking for a small carry pistol, there's not much (relatively) to choose from in a small DA/SA. I think that Sig is a good choice. Also, the Walther P99, while striker fired, is DA/SA.

My personal favorite, the Kahr P9, has the "Elite" trigger, which is a GREAT trigger, even better than the one in the Kahr K-series.

Good luck.

The P225 is certainly worth a look. It's a world-class pistol, although not very compact by today's standards.

I carried a 3913 for a while. It's a well-made, reliable gun. I like it, but I like my G26 better. YMMV. :)

Could also try a Mini FireStorm 9mm or the RAP 401 (but I'm pretty sure that one will be pretty heavy despite being as small as it is).

Sig P228, more bang for the buck. High capacity magazines are still available!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I agree with RBull and say CZ-75 PCR or standard Compact. Great guns, accurate and reliable. Get used to the Klinton version 10 round neutered magazines though. Standard capacity magazines for the compact CZs are rare as hens teeth and very expensive when you can find them. On the plus side, standard capacity magazines for the full size CZ-75 are easily found and relatively inexpensive and will work in the compact models but they do stick out the bottom of the frame a bit.

Joe

Well, I happen to like my little Firestar M-43.
Got a nice little jacket to go with it when my
Dad purchased it. My only gripe about the m-43
is the finish does tend to wear off quickly (got the
blued one)and the trigger is a little heavier than I like.
All in all, a good gun, just wish I could find a Star PD
one of these days...

I love CZ-75's myself but for CCW I would think the best compact SA/DA 9mm would be a S&W Ladysmith 3913. Its a small 9mm in stainless steel with a good trigger and it's DA/SA with and alluminum frame to reduce weight.

shiro

If you're looking for something the size of a Glock 26 or Kel-tec, then your only choice is probably a Kahr (K9, MK9, or P9). The Kahr is striker-fired, like a Glock, but it has a very different feel than a Glock. The Glock trigger has a short travel, but it is mushy and creepy, with a final "sproing" when the striker is finally released. In contrast, the Kahr trigger has longer travel, but is smooth all the way, kind of like a very good DA revolver. I prefer the Kahr trigger over the Glock, but many other folks prefer the Glock. YMMV.

In terms of DA/SA, there really isn't anything the size of a Kel-Tec that I can recall. If you go up one size, then there's several alternatives, including the S&W 3913, Sig P239, HK USP Compact, etc.

M1911

My SIG P239 is probably the best purchase I've ever made. Never doubt that a compact pistol can't be match grade accurate! One of my good friends shot mine and had to get one, he choose .40 cal.

I prefer the ergonomics of the P225 but they are hard to find now, and given a choice, I'd probably take a P228 with the extra capacity in the same sized pistol.

SS

Back