Best revolvers for CCW?

Makoe

What do you consider to be the best revolvers for CCW?

I was considering carrying a large caliber as a backup to a pistol.
The pistol could be the high cap, lower caliber weapon, where as the revolver would almost be the opposite, for different situations.

Thanks for your time.

Any short barreled 38spl or 357 Magnum should be ideal for a backup. Many prefer those two cartridges as a primary as well. 3" barrels are said to be an ideal compromise of power and concealment. If you go with a larger caliber, you get a thicker cylinder. Consider a 3" Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum.

Well Ruger's DAO model is a bobbed hammer. It has a smoother trigger pull than the standard DA that I have experience with. It holds five rounds. What's nice is that the barrel is tall and flat. It can ride nice against your body if it has to. However, unless they changed something, they don't make the DAO model with a 3" barrel. The DAO models come with a standard 2¼" barrel, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

I would like to suggest a nice S&W round butt 2½" Model 19. Six shots of .357 mag...........or .38spec.

Since the 60s my backup has usually been a Model 36 in two and (currently) three inch bbl.

Sam

Revolver for CCW

I have several guns I CCW with. The revolver I use most is a 3 inch Gil Hebert 657 in 41 Magnum. You don't lose all your velocity and muzzel energy by using a short[er] barrel.

I've had a lot of small revos over the years, including the 2 1/4" SP-101 in .357 mag. You get more oomph with the mags than with .38 spls, but you really need a longer bbl for that cartridge to hit its stride. I presently carry a 9x19 S&W 940 - breaks the sound barrier with 115-grainers out of the 2" bbl (tho I carry it with 147-gr Hydra-Shoks). I really think the 9x19 is the most efficient cartridge out of a snub revo (tho it took me years and years to get beyond the "9mm should come out of an auto" gut reaction).

The SP-101 is a beautiful little gun, but I would suggest you get the 3" tube to help ensure you get magnum-level performance. The only difference with concealment (even the 2 1'4" bbl makes for a pretty sizable gun in this model) is that you're not going to be sticking it in your front pocket.

Any K- or L-frame with a less-than-6" barrel makes a fine carry gun. Two thirds of my main CCW lineup are a K-frame Model 19 4", and an L-frame 686 2 1/2". I prefer the longer barreled revolvers to snubbies for IWB carry, since the longer front end helps anchor the gun inside the waistband better than the short snout on a 2" J-frame.

What about the Ruger GP100 with 3" barrel? A little bigger than the SP101 and about 10 ounces heavier but you'd get 6 vs 5 shots plus the extra weight should make shooting .357mags a little more enjoyable at the range. Don't know how much harder it'd be to conceal than the SP101 though??

I'm with 'lendringser'...

...as I much prefer 3-4" tubes on carry pieces.
My favorite is a 3" Rossi 720/.44 Special, but I'm real partial to my 4" M66/.357 Mag., too.

I find both of them easier to carry than the SP101...it's just too heavy for my tastes, although it is an excellent revolver.

I know I'm a stuck record (I wonder how long it will be before no one remembers stuck records?), but I'd HIGHLY recommend a 3" round butt S&W M65 (stainless) or M13 (blue). Set of pachmayr compact grips, and MAYBE a trigger job, and you are WELLLLLLLL armed.

My S&W 042 Airweight is my regular CCW gun these days.

I also have a Model 19 2.5" that I carry regularly, but more in the winter when I have heavier clothes.

S&W old model 60 .38 Special,

the handgun that introduced stainless steel to the firearms format.:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

MOLON LABE!!!

My carry revolvers are a S&W Model 342ti (titanium 5 shot .38 with enclosed hammer and 1 7/8 inch barrel) and a S&W Model 60 (stainless 5 shot .357 with exposed hammer and 2 1/8 inch barrel). Both are excellent. I went with the S&W because I like ankle carry, and I found them to be substantially smaller and lighter than the Ruger, Colt or Taurus offerings. While I had some minor quality issues with the 342ti, S&W's service was excellent. The Model 60 has never had a problem. I eventually hope to get rid of both of these guns and trade them in on a new Scandium.

For any reasonable mode of carry except a horizontal shoulder holster, barrel length is not a problem. I would go with a 4" revolver, like a Model 19, as primary and forget the backup.

Jim

HUTCH said it well- - -

(Pre-Ban) S&W M-13 or M-65 is just about supreme.

You have full magnum capability, and the extra inch or so of barrel gets a lot more out of the cartridge.

You have a noticibly lighter revolver than some mentioned, while keeping enough beef to handle a full 125 or 158-gr JHP magnum round. (Have you ever TRIED the five-shot snubs with full mag loads? I have.)

In my mind, the only real excuse for the small frame snubs is for pocket or ankle holster carry. If you must wear a belt holster, the three-inch is far easier to conceal than the two-inch. Has to do with there being some barrel to press against your hip and push the butt against your body. I know, sounds strange, but try it with a properly-designed holster, either inside waistband or outside.

Oh, yeah, the 2-1/4" M-19 or M-66: Why pay extra, in pruchase price, and inconvenience, and in wear and tear on your clothing, to have the adjustable sight? It is too large for pants pocket carry, while not holstering so well. It doesn't benefit as much from the magnum cartridge, and weighs more in the bargain.

Best,
Johnny

Back