Best revolver ?

kab37

Hi, I need some help/advice. I intend to purchase a reproduction Colt 1861 Navy revolver in .36. Who is the best manufacturer for this pistol? Uberti has a good looking assortment, but what about the other guys ? I want a steel frame, case hardened revolver.

My present shooter is an 1858 New Model Army by Santa Barbara but I guess this manufacturer has gone. Thanks for any/all help.

Best 1861 Navy

By reputation: Cimarron. They are generally more expensive but have a reputation for very high quality hardware. As I understand it, they contract with Uberti to provide the guns but inspect and cull for quality. The 1861 Navy is priced at $298 for the standard gun, with $30 more for a charcoal blue finish and $50 more for an "original" finish, whatever that is.
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/BlkPowder/CA050-51NavyMil.htm#

Thunder Ridge has Uberti guns at $270 and Pietta at $254, both steel case hardened finish frames.
http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/revolvers.htm#navy

I have both Pietta and Uberti pistols in other designs, but no 1861 Navy. With regard to quality, Uberti has a very good if not excellent reputation and Pietta is considered good to very good. My experience is that there is little difference; both make very good products.

I once had an Armi San Marco 36 cal Colt, and it was pretty nicely made, but I would say I think that all the Italian makers are variable in quality, there is apparently just alot of handwork in these things and I can look at one Uberti with gappy grip to frame fit and another like it that is pretty perfect. Although they do vary less than the others I guess. Best to be able to examine the gun before purchase. Or buy like the Cimarron that is a premium type. Or if you can find one, one of the old Colt blackpowder repro series which are usually very nice authentic guns but the high prices reflect that.

Santa Barbra Guns were made in Spain. Santa Barbra is the gunmaker for the Spanish Army and all their forces. The Santa Barbra 58 Remy is a good gun. Does yours perhaps have the Walther BBL. If so it's a keeper for sure. You might try Euroarms parts avaible at S&S Firearms. Or possible Uberti parts will work. The SB 58 Remy hasn't been made since the late '70's early 80's.

Pietta changed all their machines in 1999-2000 and since then, they have been on a par with Uberti, Yes you can get a bad one, but you can get a bad one from any MFR. on any given day.

I just bought two Pietta 1851 Navy's on Gunbroker, and although used, these guns are better quality than I expected and in fantastic shape. The previous owner did action jobs on both and they work like fine tuned clocks. Their finish, fit, form and function is second to none. And that is coming from a Remington New Model Army Man. The 1851 Pietta Navy's are consecutively S/N. made in 2004.

If you buy from Cabela's and they are not right, you can exchange them no questions asked. That alone is worth the tariff. You might be able to ask for Consectutive S/N but I don't know.

I was given an 1861 .44 CVA (Armi San Marco) kit back in the mid 1980's. I put it together, took my time and worked it with lots of TLC, and was not impressed with the quality or results. The steel was soft, timing off (Pre-timed by CVA?), overall a POS. In 2000, I was given a Traditions (Armi San Marco) .44 Colt 3rd model Dragoon. WOW! This gun is perfect and I would say the quality is right up there with my Uberti .44 Walker colt. The dealer advised me that Armi San Marco has improved in years, and has several grades of guns, this Dragoon being a higher grade. I also own a Pietta 1851 Colt in .44 (never made, Colt only made the 1851 in .36), it is OK, good, but not quite as nice as my Armi San Marco 3rd Dragoon or my Urberti Walker.

Hi Kaby,

Uberti is producing two Colt Navy 1860-61 .36 revolvers. One is precut for shoulder stock and the other one is not. You can see pictures of this models on www.ubertireplicas.it (in english) or www.uberti.com (USA site). Than you can order precut model in verious finishes: brass backstrap and triger guard, blued cast steel backstrap and brass triger guard, and blued cast steel backstrap and triger guard. Uncut model is I believe with brass backstrap and triger guard only. It's called 1861 Navy Civil Brass. All has frames in forged colour case hardened steel. I would take Uberti but now it's up to you!

Navy Civil Brass
UB-1861NavyCivilBrass.jpg

Navy 1861 London Model
Navy1861.jpg

CYA Icy
yeah.gif

Last edited:
Back