Best red dot under $100

I honestly can't recommend any of them in that price range. I've tried a few and they were deficient in too many ways. Either of a ton or parallax or they simply broke very early. I did try two Bushnelll TRS-25 red dots that were under a hundred bucks. Both of the ones I got had too much parallax for me to use and I sent them back. A friend of mine just got a new one and he said it has only a small amount of parallax and he's satisfied with it so far. It's not hard to check for parallax, and you should do it on any red dot you buy. Simply sit it on a flat surface and "aim" it a a spot twenty-five or thirty yards away. Then move your head around and see how far the dot moves off the bullseye as you move your head. Most will give you a very small amount of up and down, but the cheap ones give you a lot of up and down and side to side. If you find one that doesn't, get it. In that event, it's simply how long will it last. Maybe Bushnell is getting better quality from their Chinese manufacturer on the TRS-25 now or maybe my friend simply got one that was just at the end of the process capability curve. Go to a store that sells them and check them out and see. Good luck.

PS- right now you can find this Bushnell TRS-25 for under eighty-five bucks if you look around on the net.

To answer this, we would need more information as to the intended use of the sight.
Rimfire, centerfire, rifle, pistol (action, bullseye) or shotgun.
Lots of choices in your price range.

To answer this, we would need more information as to the intended use of the sight.
Rifle, pistol (action, bullseye) or shotgun.
Lots of choices in your price range.

Not really, I've put my pistol red dots on several rifles and they worked very well. I had one on an 1886 in 45-70 and shot some very, very good groups with it at a measured 114 yards. I'm talking five shots in 1.3-1.8". I've owned and used red dots for over twenty-five years for hunting and competition. During that time I've owned a lot of them. Still do own a lot of them.

I woudln't recommend any of them... I would say save up a tiny bit more and buy any of the ones from Primary Arms

I am very happy with my red dots from....ready, here it comes, Walmart.
I own three of them, all BSA and they use a common battery (2032). I have
one on a .22 rifle and on two Ruger MK III's. One fun thing to do is, leave
the front lens cap on and shoot with both eyes open...focus on eye on the
red dot and the other on the target. Average price is $30.00 each.

I have one on a .22 rifle and on two Ruger MK III's.

That's why a previous poster asked about the intended use

A cheap sight that works on a 22 rifle or even a 22 handgun may not survive one cylinder full on a 44 mag revolver.

That said, I have an original Aimpoint 1000 from 1987 that has been on many different guns over the last 28 years, and still works like new.

WE HAVE TO KNOW INTENDED USE

I bought an Aimpoint 1000 years ago. Aimpoint advertised it to be used on everything. I installed mine in my S&W 624 on a top mount. The mount mounted with the rear sight bolt and a pinch clamp.

On my twelveth shot the sight went flying twenty feet into the air when the clamps tore off.

I called Aimpoint the next day and they shipped out a replacement with a return label for the broken one.

I installed the new Aimpoint and it flew into the air after 30 some rounds so I called them again.

Again I recieved an new one and again thirty rounds later it too broke. I called Aimpoint and they promply offered to refund my money or upgrade me for a few dollars to their lazer.

The lazer mounted with scope rings instead of clamps partially built into the sight. A few months later the Aimpoint 1000 was recalled.

I ran the lazer for five years on the top mount and then decided to mount it below the grip. It still works great.

A few months later the Aimpoint 1000 was recalled.
Mine must have been made after the recall since it mounts on a Weaver type rail.

I've had it on a Dan Wesson 6" 44 Mag, a couple of Ruger MKII's, two different 50 cal Muzzleloaders, and right now it's on a 10/22, still going strong

Back