Best Red Dot sight for AR-15

ATN082268

What is the best Red Dot sight for an AR-15? It will be used for home defense purposes and I'd say the upper limit price wise will be around 800 dollars. Thank you.

Ive always liked the Aimpoints on mine.

Mine are all "old School" (M2/ML2's) and have been flawless from day one, and have never been babied. I leave them on 24/7/365 and change the batteries once a year.

Full size- eotech or aimpoint pro. You pick..

Micro dot- AimPoint T1 or H1 if price is not a concern, Holo-sun or Primary arms if price is important.

Vortex makes a mid-sized model that is getting good reviews. Its priced middle of the road as well

With your budget I'd have to say aimpoint. I personally have an eotech that I love , but for home defense the aimpoint would be better because you can just leave it on. If I used my eotech for home defense I think it would be too hard to turn it on the right setting under stress. The fact that you can leave an aimpoint on the desired setting for years puts it over the top. IMHO.

+1 on the above! Eotech is great also has a long battery life but unless they changed their newer models they have an 8 hour auto shut off. For me that is a no go.

Aim point M4 is great not only because of the multi year constant on run time (80000 hours) but it runs on AA batteries.

Optics

I run with several different red dots. I like the EOTech Exps and I just got my hands on the Sig Sauer Romeo 5. I really like this red dot. It has motion sensor that turns it on and off.

Love my Aimpoint PRO have it on a Vortex cantilever mount with their 3x magnifier. It is tough as nails and the battery last a long time. I leave it on 24/7 and change the battery the first week of the year. If you go to AR15.com you will find miles of posts arguing aimpoint v. eotech.
Its kinda like .270 v. -06

Agree with the Aimpoint suggestion, have had an Eotech XPS until recently and have found the Aimpoint easier to get on target for some reason, maybe being a touch higher helps?
2 MOA dot compared to the Eotech but at SD distances that won't make any difference...

Aimpoint Micro models are in the OPs budget.A high quality mount to go with it as well..PRO an ACO etc models are fine but I prefer the size of the micros.

Eotech has announced that their sights are loosing Zero and have offered money back to their customers.

Since you already purchased a sight I hope it works out for you.

Aimpoint is the bet if you ever need a replacement.

Back