Best re-barreling service for Rem 700?

Max713

Inactive
Hey all, thinking about starting a new project.

I have a Remington 700 chambered in 243, that I'd like to turn into a precision/varmint rig.

My plan is to re-barrel it in 260 Remington, throw it in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock with Magpul bottom metal and AICS mags, throw a Timney and a Leupold Mark 4 at it and call it good.

My other thought is just to buy a Tikka T3X Compact Tactical chambered in 260. I'm liking the idea of the custom 700, mainly because it would be different, but also because in the end it would actually be cheaper than buying the Tikka.

I'm looking for ultimate accuracy here... 1/4 MOA capabilities with handloads is the goal. I've got several 1/2 MOA rifles, including my varmint AR, in this build I'm looking for a serious tack driver.

Basically all I need to figure out is my re-barrel plans. I don't really know where to start. I would much prefer to send out my rifle and have a custom barrel made and fitted to it by the same company, there isn't much for competent gunsmiths anywhere near me. BUT, ordering a custom barrel and sourcing a smith to install it isn't out of the question...

So, name that barrel maker/installer! :D

Sort of off topic, I've got another bolt gun that I designed with the same idea in mind, without the desired results... 3/4 MOA isn't cutting it for me. Oh well, at least it's pretty to look at :o

If I wanted a rifle 1/4 moa or better and had the money to spend, Accurate Ordnance is worth a look. You'll be looking at more than a rebarrel though, think along the lines of getting the action blueprinted, a better stock and have it bedded, a better trigger than comes from the factory.

You won't find anyone complaining about their work, groups in the under 0.19" at 100 yards don't seem to be exactly rare for them from the test targets I've seen. By all accounts, everything they build is as perfect as it can be.

They also keep lots of parts on hand which usually results in a short turnaround time, and top notch customer service.

Last edited:
Here is a list of top barrel makers used in the PRS which is what your M700 in Magpul reminds me of. Choose which ever one offers you the barrel you want in the time frame that agrees with you most.

As for installers many, many can do you a great job. Most of the people who sell barrels can install them, some won't. Your budget is going to determine who you actually use. I'd look at Gre'-tan rifles Remington build of $2000 as kind of the upper end of a build. For the best deal on a M700 build check out Chad Dixon of Long Rifles Inc. and get in on his group buy. With his group buy you can spend as much or as little as you want on installing a new barrel.

If your goal is ultimate accuracy then as you probably know more than just getting a quality barrel installed is involved.

The entire action should be blueprinted when having the barrel installed. And that is just the beginning. While a Timney trigger may be good enough, there are arguably better and more expensive triggers out there. Also the stock you mention is good but not good enough to wring every last bit of accuracy out of a custom rifle.

My point being that after everything is said and done you may find yourself having gone with the Tikka to be a better value and actually less expensive.

If you want 1/4 MOA then you need a custom built rifle.

You will want a nut type barrel so you can replace it as you wear it out

243 is NOT a good cartridge for that, the 6.5 CM or Lapua is.

Both are much easier on barrels than the 243.

6.0s are also good.

Meredith Rifles in Athens Alabama. He guarantees 1/2 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I have personally seen at least 20 of his rifles shoot and every one of them is 1/2 MOA or better. I have 3 Meredith Rifles and they are worth every penny.

My 7-08 in a Boyds stock he did for me. Is a sporter weight barrel and round 5,6,7 were .412 inches at 100 yards with Hornady American Whitetail ammo. My 140 Accubond handloads are .462 inches 5 shots at 100 yards. I Promise you if you get a Meredith you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Ahlmans Inc. Morristown, MN 55052 507-685-4244

This family business has been a Remington Authorized Repair Center for close to 50 years. A store front business having Professional Gunsmiths employed that have a impeccable reputation for quality work here in the North Country.

The most accurate rifles I have seen my friends use have been single shot bolt actions with solid baseplates, not magazines. The advice above about having the action blueprinted or trued is very sound. Depending on your range, the 6mmBR is one of the most accurate and capable of your desired MOA.

If I wanted a rifle 1/4 moa or better and had the money to spend, Accurate Ordnance is worth a look. You'll be looking at more than a rebarrel though, think along the lines of getting the action blueprinted, a better stock and have it bedded, a better trigger than comes from the factory.

You won't find anyone complaining about their work, groups in the under 0.19" at 100 yards don't seem to be exactly rare for them from the test targets I've seen. By all accounts, everything they build is as perfect as it can be.

They also keep lots of parts on hand which usually results in a short turnaround time, and top notch customer service.

G.A. Precision or This.

Accurate Ordnance also. I started out with a stock REM 700 LTR 308 cal. After 4000+ rounds through the barrel, started looking for a company to do the job, called a number of places, all had a long turnaround time. After speaking to Mark at AO I felt comfortable letting them do the work. They installed a Rock Creek M24 5R 11.27 twist SS barrel & bedded in 4 weeks. Grouped 1/2" at 200 yards. Very Happy with their work. 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor may be my next rebarrel also, very nice round.

Lucky 243

I have not gotten to 1/4 MOA and probably won't with my Rem 700 SPS stainless but I can do 1/2 MOA, one inch at 200 yards. 100 gr sierra boat tail in front or 41.0 gr of IMR 4350.
Also with Nosler 70 gr. BTips in front of 46.0 gr IMR 4350 I can keep within an inch at 200 yards.
My club just held a ground hog shoot, with targets being 2 lt diet soda bottles hung on the line, and we shot off hand from 200 yards.
Some were using ball ammo from ARs and made a splash, but left liquid in the bottles below the bullet entryhole.
With the 100 gr sierras the bottles totally exploded regardless of the spot hit, and left a flat piece of plastic on the ground.
Duane

Who ever you choose, make sure the true the face of the receiver (to its internal threads) before they install the barrel.

This is critical to aligning the bore with the receiver, or making sure the barrel is lined up during recoil.

Back