Best quality .22LR suppressor

makarov

OK, I have made the decision to get a suppressor strictly for target shooting with .22LR. Not going to worry about trying to get one that will also work with .223. The one I found made by Liberty looked interesting but weighed 24 ounces. Doesn't that seem a bit heavy for use with a pistol? I am used to shooting fairly substantial guns, but 24 ounces hanging off the barrel might be too much. So, I am reposting this question specifically related to .22 suppressors. Best one? They are cheaper than the centerfire cans, so price really isn't the deciding factor. To me, this is a one time purchase so I am willing to pay a fair amount for a high quality, quiet, easily cleaned suppressor. A thread on type is fine, don't want to mess with mounting systems. Leaning towards the SWR Spectre right now. It is rated for higher calibers up to 5.7x28, which to me means it is built stronger than a .22LR only can. I won't shoot anything else through it most likely, but you never know. It is 8 ounces. and all stainless construction which is appealing.

I got the SWR Spectre. I liked that it came apart for cleaning and it is rated for 3 other rounds besides the 22lr.

When I lived in OZ suppressors were an over the counter item, about $35 +15 to thread the barrel.
I had a Maxim type supressor threaded on a 10-22 that was quite with sub sonic rounds. The supressor was about 4" long and 1.5" dia. a few ounces in weight.
Cleaned up easy too.

Best is very tough to quantify as everyone has different "wants" in a can.
I'll give my opinion.
I run a Spectre on a Buckmark and 10/22. It's a great can, and very quiet, but yeah, it's a bit heavy when I think about it. Specs say 8.5oz, but nowhere near 24oz! I never really notice it, as I already have heavy barrels on both of those guns. If you're putting it on a little Walther, then maybe a lighter can is a good idea.
Durability and weight are almost always a tradeoff in rimfire suppressors. I don't think there are many .22Mag/.17HMR/5.7 rated cans that aren't fairly heavy.

Takedown ability is huge in a .22 suppressor,IMHO. The first time I poured out about tablespoon full of crap from my Spectre, I was glad that I chose a takedown .22 can. That's also the reason you don't want to run a sealed .223 can with .22lr.

To me, a short list for "best" is probably the Spectre and the Sparrow Stainless if durability is your main concern. The Sparrow is easier to take down because of the baffle "jacket" that it uses, but if you only shoot 250 or less rounds between cleanings, you likely won't notice much difference.If weight is an issue, the Element, Prodigy and original Sparrow are good choices.

The stainless Sparrow is looking really good right now. Like the way it comes apart for cleaning. Is it as quiet as the Spectre or KodiakTL? I would like to use it on both pistols and rifles.

Just as quiet on a decible meter, but how it sounds to you will differ from how it sounds to others due to frequency issues. All of the .22 suppressors you're listing are pretty close on their paper stats. Of course everyone tells you that you have to hear it yourself. That's convenient if you have hordes of Title II owning friends, but that's usually not the case for most of us.

Some online folks say the Sparrows have a hefty first round pop when clean, if that's important to you. If you shoot it wet or leave it dirty a lot, that won't be much an issue though.

The Sparrow is shorter but a tiny bit heavier than the LibertyTL.

I've not shot either of them, FWIW. I'm pretty darn happy with my Spectre. It doesn't shift POI on my 10/22 out to at least 50yds, and is quiet on both my Buckmark and my 10/22. I lube it with anti-seize grease, and have never had a problem taking it apart. I don't even use the pusher tool they give you to take it down.

Poodleshooter, where are you putting anti-seize in your Spectre? Inside the suppressor tube? Between baffles?

Mine comes apart with the baffle pusher. I don't use a vise as some claim you have to but 1000 rounds gets mine pretty funky and a little stubborn.

I put grey Permatex on the internal threads, both endcap threads on the tube,and even a thin brushing on the outside edges of the baffle stack (the edges that contact the tube. I don't put any on the surface of the baffles, but it gets there eventually anyway.
I think it also serves as a bit of an ablative medium and reduces my FRP somewhat, but that's just a guess.
The downside is that I get grey graphite mess on the outside of the can, and cleanup is always messy. However it always takes down easy and never locks up.

I have three TAC 65s and a Silenco Sparrow. Very happy with the quality, quietness, and pricing.

All of them get regular use and sometimes abuse.

I would recommend either of these for anyone shopping for a rimfire suppressor.

My boss is getting into suppressors and I recommended to him the Silencerco Sparrow. Multi-caliber rated, good performance, and stupid easy maintenance. The extra weight is simply not a significant issue.

Back