Best private shooting range in AZ

valkabit6

Looking to move to AZ soon, just wondering what some of the best private ranges (that accept new members) in AZ are.

Not sure what part of AZ I'll be moving to, just want to see what is available.

I don't know about the rest of Arizona but when I lived in Yuma you could just about pull off the road anywhere outside the city limits and shoot.

Indoor range would be Scottsdale Gun Club, one of the best in the country.
Outdoor, Ben Avery (Phx) or Usery Mountain (Far East Mesa).

Ben Avery is public.
As mentioned above many parcels of land are open.

Um. AZ is a big place.

Yep

Besides, there is a LOT of BLM land where you can go and just shoot/hike/camp/hunt/fish/ATV, etc.

You have a lot to learn about western states being from NJ.....;)

Didn't mean to sound rude but I guess the move might be a bit of a culture shock for you.

There are many places to shoot out of the city on BLM land.

In Phoenix I shoot a lot at Ben Avery Range. It is considered to be one of the best ranges in the country. 15 minutes north and you are on BLM land at a place called Table Mesa. It's just out in the desert.

I suppose I'm just used to having a range to shoot at. I'm a member of a pretty decent (from my experience) range in rural southern NJ.

As far as asking about private ranges, I've heard that you can run into some real winners at some public ranges, although I don't have any experience with that myself. But no reason I can't check out public ranges or use BLM land once I'm there.

The public ranges are fine. It's the weirdos out in the desert you have to worry about. Really just gun safety issues.

I only go out to the desert on weekdays early in the morning when no one else is out there. It's a lot of fun.

Private ranges don't guarantee anything much.
A couple of them where we were members got plumb closed down due to dangerous foolishness.
And another one had to curtail their activities to just about match the nearby public one.
When you get to where ever you are going, just ask the locals where to shoot.
Might as well go to the horses mouth, so to speak.
If you definitely want a private type range, check out the member clubs at uspsa.org, and idpa.com.
Also check the where to shoot section of the nssf.org web site for a huge list.

Well, in Tucson, my favorite range is run by the Tucson Rifle club. (TRC) $10 a head for a day shoot and $60 for a year which includes you, the wife and kids. There's a 500 meter silhouette range, a 100 and 200 yard sighting in ranges for the public and for club members pistol, combat, cowboy and a 1,000 yard ranges. Not to shabby for $60 a year.
There is a Pima Rifle Range run by the county at $10 a head, no form of memberships the last time I heard and very highly regulated. Thaw also have a smaller range about 5 miles from my house but I've never checked it out.
I think there's a few indoor ranges but again, I've never bothered.
Been going to TRC since 1979.
Paul B.

If you move close to yuma, Adair Range is a great place to shoot at. I think it's free to use most of the time, never been charged when I've shot there. They have plenty of different ranges to use, rifle, pistol, shotgun...

Check it out if you're in the area, if you need any supplies you can always run back into Yuma. There's a Walmart that's not to far or Spraughes gun store in town, couple doors down is another store that sells guns and ammo (can't think of their name). Jones and Jones is in Somerton which is the next town over, good people to do business with. Spraughes has an indoor range if you don't like the heat. Gunshows are at the fairgrounds in the winter months as its just to hot in the summer to have them.

Don't forget that AZ is one of the more free states in the U.S., you can open or concealed carry in most places. You can own full auto weapons and silencers if you have the money to afford them.

Valka, I'm also south jersey and in the process of moving. Did you shoot at SJSC?

You are in for culture shock, get ready and enjoy :)

Haven't decided where I'm moving to in AZ. No family or friends out there, so I'll try to decide the best place via internet searches. Probably end up in Tucson or Phoenix just because of work availability.

Grizz: I'm a new member of Quinton Sportsmans Club, just outside of Bridgeton. Wished I'd waited to join, coulda saved a lot of $$$ with that $300 fee to join:(

Back