Best pocket holster for mod 60

Kermit

I've got an old S&W mod 60 (it's a 38...not even +P rated). I've been looking for a nice pocket holster for it but haven't found the right one yet...any suggestions?

pocket holster s can be the most overpriced item in history...go to you your local shoemaker...pick out the leather you like, give him 5 bucks and have him sew it into a square....wala.....less is more in a pocket holster...

I like the DeSantis style 30 Pocket Pal for my J-frame. It is boned on one side to the shape of the gun, flat on the other so it doesn't print, and the holster is shaped to fit a front pocket so the revolver doesn't slide around and is presented properly for a draw. It's also cheap: $32.00.

Here's Desantis' site: http://www.desantisholster.com/

Buck's worth of materiels n an hour or so....look at DeSantis and Kramer then do your own custom to match your size, gun n style. I put clips on top edge so the holster won't go too deep, clip hooks over the pocket edge. That way same holster works in front or rear pocket....jeans, suit or slacks. Be sure to put the rough side of the leather to the outside so holster stays in when you draw.

Sam

Hawkman, thanks for the link. I've seen Mr. Hedley's stuff before, and had no idea it was so reasonably priced.

40-50 bucks for a pocket holster reasonable? Guess we've really gotten used to paying through the nose for gun related items...if you like it, buy it, (I've done it too) but don't kid yourself, that's high for such a little piece of leather......

Well, there's a fair amount of handiwork put into that piece of leather. I know what you're saying, but for a handmade piece of craftwork . . . $50 seems reasonable to me.

It's like boots, I guess. There's nothing wrong with a pair of Justins, but if you're looking for artisanship, Lucchese can provide it (at a higher price).

I bought the DeSantis holster because I perceive it to be a quality product that performs outstandingly. It's not the cheapest pocket holster, but I felt the extra bucks were worth spending because - for me - it does an excellent job of holding the gun (concealed) in the right place in the pocket.

The handmade Hedley product seems like it's an asthetic step up from the utilitarian DeSantis holster: prettier, thicker leather, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked a little better, too, though I'm sure it doesn't work twice as well (and it is almost twice as much $ as the DeSantis).

I don't know: I think $50 for a handmade holster seems reasonable.

FWIW, I've carried my 1980's J-frame in a Kramer pocket holster for about four years. This holster is not inexpensive, but it's well designed, well made, and durable. A flat layer of Kydex is sewn to the outside to mask the outline of the gun. The rest of the holster is nicely molded to the shape of the gun, so the gun and the holster make a good unit. But a built-in hook snags the pocket so the gun can be drawn without drawing the holster along with it.

don't shoot it's me

You are correct with the comment about, a high price for a small piece of leather, but you fail to allow for the design time, the skilled hand work, and don't forget the warranty.
Quailty leather is $5-$6 a sq ft...... plus shipping.
And give this some thought, what is your hourly rate of pay?

From the craftsman's standpoint, you are correct..I was only answering from the standpoint of a consumer who tries to save a little when possible and pass that on to others who want to try the same. Guns are more than just a tool to many and buying a finely made piece of leather like yours can be a fun part of the gun owning experience, which should assure you many future buyers and a thriving business. My holster for my P7 is a finely crafted defatti IWB that set me back over 80 bucks...not much to choose from if want to carry a P7 comfortably. As for my 442, I found a piece of folded leather sewn up on the sides does the trick quite well for me. I have visited your page and you do make an excellent product...I'm just a bit more utilitarian and cost conscious when it comes to stashing a 14 ounce gun in my rear pocket....all the best....

don't shoot it's me

NO FLAME INTENDED, I just wanted to point out that a holster was more than a "little piece of leather".
Thank you for your comments.

Back