Best pistol for .357 SIG

thequickad

Now that .357 SIG has gained popularity. What would you recommend as a starter gun (target, plinking) for this cartridge? SIG, Glock and a few others have chambered for this cartridge.

As usual, I thank everyone in advance for their valuable comments. :)

I would get a 1911 chambered for 40S&W, and get a separate 357SIG barrel.

Best of both worlds. The barrel would be extremely stiff, giving good accuracy.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I don't own a gun in .357 Sig, but I have tried out a couple of different rentals at the range. I would say that round has a sharp recoil and a very loud report. I would recommend trying out any of the polymer framed guns either chambered for it, or having an aftermarket barrel made for it (Glock or HK). I believe that polymer framed guns usually provide a softer recoil than steel or aluminum framed ones. Although you can buy recoil reducers for say a Sig, etc...

If target and plinking is your choice and you don't want to spend a bundle of money go a full size Glock 31 (more info at glocktalk.com and glockmeister.com for model specs). Better yet would be to get the Glock 35 target/tactical and invest in a 357SIG barrel. If you want a traditional DA/SA you cannot go wrong with a 40SW SIG Sauer P226 with an additional 357SIG barrel.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

I have a Glock 32 and a 35 that I bought a KKM .357 Sig barrel for. Both are accurate and recoil is very managable. Definitly a fun round to shoot and does get you noticed at the range :)

Another reason I got the 32 was that for $115.00 I got myself a 23 from Glockmeister :)

Sig 229 or Sig 226. Two great guns, well worth the money. Hicaps are available if you don't mind paying high dollars for them (never done it myself but others have said a Sig 226 9mm hicap will hold .357sig cartridges.)

John

If you want to be certain the 40/357 ammo will work in ALL your mags, go SIG.

Most Glock 40 mags will work w both, some won't.

------------------
>>>>---->

I just ran a 65 rounds (50 Speer Lawman and 15 Speer Gold Dots) through a Sig P239 today. I had heard about the "sharp recoil and a very loud report," but I did not experience it with the smallest .357 Sig makes. I shot one magazine of Gold Dots without hearing protection just to see how bad it really was (outdoors). I am a firm believer of shooting any gun I carry or might carry defensively at least occassionally (rarely) without hearing protection--you should know what to expect (and for example, I will never carry either the 110 grain or 125 .357 magnum defensively after having shot them without hearing protection).

Under the heading of "exotica" ...

I have an STI 2011 (race gun in "1911" design) with a 6 port .355 Schuemann hybrid barrel, hand reamed for 357 sig, with SVI innards and double stack 357/40 cal mags.

Not exactly a beginner gun, I will concede, but I thought you might find this of interest.

Juliet Charley (Is that one handle or two??)

What was your opinion of the P239?? I'm thinking of getting one. How big are your hands?

Thanks,
Roon

[This message has been edited by Joseph (edited December 02, 1999).]

I was just wondering were are you guys buying your 357sig ammo? I cant find anything cheaper than 13.00 a box for 50 HELP ME OUT shooting this guns is makeing me broke!!!
By the way i use a sig pro!!!

Josheph -

JC works fine. I do not have really big hand and have trouble with many high capacity pistols (particularly the large frame Glocks and the Berretta)--the P228 grip is just about perfect for me. The P239 is one of the few pistols whose grip is really tool small (rectangular) for me. I haven't a chance to shoot it, but a friend has one with Hogues on it and feels much better. If I were going to carry one, I would probably plan buying a set of Hogues for it. Other than that, the gun shot fine, and I really enjoyed. It was accurate and controllable (but would have been better with different grips). When you first pick it up, it feels really top heavy due to the aluminum frame and steel slide coupled with the small grips--again, it "feels" much better with Hogues.

I'd vote for the new Steyr M357, coming out in 1st quarter 2000. It looks to be identical to my M40 in .40 S&W.

Another strong contender is the Sigpro 2340. It's not exactly compact, but not really large either. It can shoot .357 Sig and hot .40 loads all day without wimpering. It's made for low maintenance also. I'd suspect it will be more durable and last longer than the beloved P229.

Glock 31. The low bore axis helps in reducing muzzle flip, and the polymer frame absorbs some recoil for you.
Plus the polygonal rifling will really send those .357 SIG bullets screaming out of the barrel.

Back