Best optics for a Ruger Super Red Hawk

MSPHUNTER

I can't decide on what kinf of optics to put on my Ruger Super Red Hawk and I was looking at a Leupold Gilmor, is that a bad choice or not and what would you put on?

I have had a Bushnell 2x6 variable on my SRH since I bought it many years ago. I have had zero problems with it, this shooting heavy loads of 240 and 300 grain bullets through it. I can't personally speak for the Leupold but I can't imagine it being a bad scope either.

I also have a Bushnell 2x6 varible on my SRH. I also have had no problems with it. I did bag a nice 8 point whitetail last year using this equipment. It always seems to hold POA, every time I go to the range.
I agree it is hard to go wrong with a Leupold, however.
Jim Hall

I've got a Leupold M-8 2X20 EER on mine. It functions fine, but the field of view is kind of small. If I was going to buy another one, I'd try to find a fixed power 4X30. I don't know if such a thing is made, but that would give me a bigger field of view, and more magnification. A 2 power scope is almost the same as iron sights, except that you have a fine crosshair to lay on the target rather than that huge front sight.

Also, if you have big thumbs you may have trouble pulling the hammer back. There isn't a lot of room between the hammer and the eye piece. It doesn't bother me, but my brother-in-law complains about it. This may be the case with any scope you put on it.

Not familiar with a Leupold Gilmor.

MSPHUNTER,

I've got a Leupold/Gilmore LG-1 on a S&W "N" using a Burris mount and rings. I use this gun for target shooting and I'm impressed with the overall quality and especially the dot sharpness and adjustability.

I've only had this combo together a few months, maybe 7 --> 8 thousand rounds, and have not had any problems. I'd recomend Leupold products to anyone.

Good Luck...

Joe

For hunting with your SRH it's hard to beat a quality dot sight or good 2x scope. Magnification over 3x becomes impossible to hold steady. Plus, high magnification (or really any magnification) is not need when shooting deer sized game at ranges under 200 yds. For target shooting off a bench higher magnification can be useful. The trade off is a larger, heavier, more delicate, and expensive scope. Variable scopes also tend to have around 20% narrower field-of-view at any one power vs. a fixed mag scope at that same power, and on a hunting scope FOV is what puts meat on the table.

I've had a Bushnell Trophy 2x6 for about 5 years. It's been back to the factory twice. Granted, it's seen a lot of rounds on a number of hard kicking handguns (a handloaded .375 Winchester Contender being the worse, it's like holding a M-80 in your hand when it goes off). I worked fine for the first 500 to 600 rds though. Cost me a nice doe 2 years ago when the cross hairs wouldn't hold zero. Before that the eye relief went wacky, needed 4 foot long arms to hold it. I haven't used it since it came back from repairs last time, wouldn't trust it for hunting or load development. Probably trade it off at some point.

AR-10, The Leupold 2x has one of the largest fields-of-view (FOV) on the market. A 4x scope will have 1/2 the FOV of a 2x. FOV has nothing to do with the size of the objective lens, it's a function of magnification and the geometry of the internal optics in the eyepiece only. If you're looking for wide FOV then I'd suggest a 1x scope or a non-magnified dot sight, they'll have the largest FOV available.

Points to ponder: The Leupold Gilmore IIRC has a three year warranty, based on Joe's comments above it sound's like a durable sight (though I'm guessing Joe's shooting .45 ACP which is a pop gun comparied to a full blown .44 mag). Tasco dot sights have a 1 year warranty, I had a Tasco Acudot for a while but traded it off, didn't like the optics so can't speak to it's durablitiy. Tasco scopes have a lifetime warranty, I have a number of 30mm Tasoc Pro-Class scopes and they have never failed me, they're my favoite hunting scope but Tasco quit making them about 5 years ago. Leupold scopes have a lifetime no-questions-asked no BS warranty, I have a 2x and it's a nice scope. I have a 30mm Millett dot sight that lasted about 350 rds on a .44 mag revolver. Milletts have a five year warranty, they replaced the sight with a new one and it now sits on a .22 rimfire. I really like the Millett sight but it couldn't take the pounding. I now have an 30mm Ultradot dot sight on one of my .44 mags, Ultradot has the reputation for durability by competition shooters, I have about 200rds through mine.... so far so good.

Bottom line: magnum handguns are probably the most severe application for scopes. Get one with a good warranty, if you shoot enough you'll eventually need it. -- Kernel

Thanks for the information, Kernel. I appreciate the tutelage. I guess I'll stick with the scope I've got. I'm not unhappy with it, just one of those grass-is-always-greener things.

Back