Best Military-Surplus Bolt Rifle < $500

Nestor Rivera

Well as a MilSurp Collector (of low cost guns at least) I have my opinios as to what is the best my top 2 are The Sweedish M-96 in 6.5x55 and the Finn M-39 in 7.62x54R. What do the rest of you think ?

Nestor, isn't the M-39 one of the Moisin-Nagant types? I have heard that quality control is great, these are very sturdy, and accuraccy is terrific, but I hate the "safety" of the M-N.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 10-27-98).]

Nestor, I agree that both the m96 and m39 are great guns, but AS A SHOOTER, I would put a SMLE No4 Mk1* ahead of both of them! It doesn't kick like the MN, and the ammo is cheaper than the 6.5 swede rounds. And the ladder sights are MUCH better than either the swede or the MN! I can't get my m98 or m39 to hit to point of aim at 100 yards. And the No4 Mk2 guns that century is selling are a great deal. Now, for all around quality, I would put the m96 way ahead of the pack..........

[This message has been edited by Gino (edited 10-23-98).]

Gino:

The Swede bolt rifle sights are set for a minimum of 300 meters which puts most modern ammnunition about 10" or more high at 100 yards. Brownells has taller front sight blades and/or an adjustable apeture rear sight that are easily installed and do not in anyway irreversibly change the gun or damage it.

I would reccomend either as the best way to be able to zero your gun at reasonable ranges.

=rod=

Without a doubt the best military surplus rife around is the 1903A3 Springfield. They are getting pricy now..but they are wonderfuly accurate and have good quality sights. The U.S Model 1917 Enfield is not far behind. It is heavy and not a nicely balanced at the Sprinfield..but a good servicable rifle. I recently bought one in a pawn shop for $125.00. I also bought, a couple of years ago, an unfired Persian Model 98 Mauser made by CZ, in 8mm that is a jewel. I think they are still available

Here at the St Louis area gunshows you can pick up Enfields and Mausers all day long under $200, except for the rarer variations of course. You can pick up #4 Enfields under $100.

Yea the M-N Safty is hard to use but it is VERY safe. As for the Sweede 96 you can replace the rear sight with the williams peep sight (no dammage to rifle)not only does it solve the hight problem it will also give you an apature sight wich I like a lot better. As for the Enfield rifles they are also quite nice i like the #4's mor than the #1 & 3's due to the sight.

Nestor,

The Finnish rifle is a top of the line shortened version of the Tula Arsenal Mosin-Nagant. The only thing I'd caution you to do is have a cast made of the chamber and leade to verify diminsions as still within safe limits of wear and erosion, respectively.

Maybe not the best but my favorite,Ishapore Enfield .308. Quality control isn`t as good as the english versions,mine had a burr in the reciever that rubbed on the bolt and the feed lips on the magazine were bent over too much. However 10mins. with the ol dremmel and the action`s smooth as can be. A little delicate bending of the feed lips straightened that out. Now I have a smooth, reasonably accurate .308 with a 12rd. magazine for under $100. Nuf said. Marcus

Back