Best manstopper in snubby .357 SP-101?

Erich

Hi folks,
What's the consensus on the best proven manstopper out of a 2.25" .357 magnum? I suspect it's not the 125-grainers I have in the revover now. I was thinking 110-grainers probably give me the most velocity, but do I want to go with something with a little more momentum?

I've seen chrono results that indicate that the .357 does in fact have an edge over the .38 spl. given the same bullet out of a snub barrel, so I figure the .357 mag. loads are what I'm interested in for actual defense use.

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts you might input.
erich

I would stick with the 125 grain JHPs because they give a better balance of penetration and expansion than 110 grain JHPs.

From what I've seen I agree. The .357 still has a definate advantage (2-300fps) over the .38 special +P from even a 2-2.5" tube.

I really like Triton's Quik-Shok. I think the design will be a great man stopper.

125 grains at 1450 fps from a 4" tube.

Read about it at http://www.triton-ammo.com

Proload has a 125gr that is rated a bit faster than 1450 from a 4 inch tube. It would be a hand full in a SP-101 but I like it out of my 4" GP100. I haven't had a chance to chrono it myself but from the feel it comes out quicker than Remington's full power 125gr.

I can't say enough about the company as well. Great to do business with.

http://www.proload.com

Mark

I am partial to the Taurus M605 loaded with the 125gr Triton Quik-Shok. The 125gr class of .357mag loadings has generally been shown to be the best man stoppers. I think the Quik-Shoks will give you the added "edge" when firing out of a short barrelled revolver.

125 jhp by Remington and Federal are very very good but they kick a lot and are a bit hard on the gun. I guess i am just wierd, but i like the 110 JHP from Federal best for my little .357s. Very accurate and low recoil. IIRC the Secret Service or Treasury agents used to shoot the Ferdal 110 jhp load out of their 2.5" S&W 19s and had very good luck with it.

The only load i ever had problems with out of the small guns was the Remington Golden Saber .357 that tumbled badly out of my 640-1. I would say try all of the different 125 jhps that you can afford to buy, and the Federal and Remington 110s, and shoot what groups best and 'feels' best to you in it. All of them should get the job done for normal defensive scenarios.

I'm with Revolvergeek. I plink with 158 SWC handloads of mine, but I carry Rem 110 JHP for social purposes. The majority of factory 125's are designed for a 4" barrel. About all you will get out of a shorter barrel is an ear shattering boom and tremendous muzzle flash. I find the 110's much more controllable out of a 3" barrel. YMMV.
I am completely satisfied with my SP101 3".

Did you actually say consensus on a firearms board? :)

Corbon makes a great three-five-seven load just for snubbie people its a hot 110gr. loading it has great velocity even from a 2" barrel. You are correct 357 is significantly better than 38s in any barrel length.
HTH
[224Man removed gratuitous spelling error]

Back