Best magazine extensions???

Guyon

I'm just thinking about one of these right now. I don't even have the proper barrel for my Remington 870 Express yet. And even when I do get the shorter barrel, I don't know if I want to go to the trouble of removing the dimples in the current magazine tube. I wonder how the original tube will function should I want to take the extension off for hunting.

Still, I'm wondering who you think makes the best extension. On various sites and here on TFL, I've seen both Tac Star and Choate Machine & Tool mentioned as the best maker of extensions.

So who really makes the best ones?

------------------
Guyon
NRA, GOA, & TFA Member
Vote for your rights!!!

Remington Arms made it's own +2 and +3 round magazine extensions, but they are hard to find. The last time I saw them available was in Shotgun News about a month ago. They were 75 dollars and included a the magazine spring and bracket. Pretty pricy for an extension, unless you really want the factory item, although I doubt that there are advantages to this brand compared to Choate, Tac Star, or other companies versions. The only thing that you can do with the Remington extensions that you cannot with the others is be able to mount an M7 or M9 bayonet, providing that you can even find the bayonet mount/magazine bracket (a very hard item to find) to add to the Remington magazine extension.

I've got the TacStar extension for my 11-87. Three things i didn't like about it:

1 - Advertised as increasing the stock 11-87 mag to 10 rounds. Can only fit 9 in it.
2 - The knurling on the end that attaches to the gun is very shallow providing almost no grip at all. Due to the limited amount of area under the barrel, screwing the mag in is a little difficult. The Choate, as I've seen, has more substantial knurling.
3 - The stud/screw for the barrel clamp does not have a washer. It then screws into the clam to a very low level. Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to screw it down that low as the humps of the clamp, which are for the barrel and the magazine, get in the way. Even when you use the end of the sling (the part that attaches to the stud) to screw it in, it still is not enough room. I eventually got some rubber washers to put in there and alloe the stud/screw to stick out a little making it easier to screw in.

Oh, and it is gloss blue while the gun is matte black.

These points (to me) are small but annoying. I think I should have tried Choate first.

If your going to put an extension on your current production Remington, you will most likely have to grind down the bumps at the end of the inside of the magazine on your shotgun. These are there to help retain the mag nut.

------------------
- Ron V.

Choate is my choice. I like the fact it's one piece. The Remington extension I used to own was two pieces and it was more difficult to remove. I think the Remington extension was lighter than the Choate but the difference was not that noticeable. Both worked fine.

Got a vang on my 870 and wish my benelli was half the quality of the vang, but then again CNC Machining aint cheap, and stamped alloy is.
I like the durability of the vang, as compared to the aftermarket ones it is a lot lighter, not being cast pot metal like some of them it can be thinner since it is quality steel.

Back