BEST lubricant for Stainless 1911

Moly is okay, but dirty. I prefer to use a teflon-based lube on stainless guns. It works as well, but is mostly removed by cleaning and has to be reapplied periodically. I have used Break-Free CLP, Tri-Flow and Rem-Oil, and can't see much difference between them, though Break-Free seems a better cleaner. I have used Militec-1 a bit, but not enough to form a firm opinion of its alleged superiority. slabsides

White lithium grease, sparingly applied, seems to work good.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

Judge, STI suggests a 50/50 mix of Slick 50 and Break-Free, even though they give you that purple stuff with the gun. I tried it (Slick/Free) and I really like it...just shake well before use...the Slick 50 settles. I noticed a difference in slide speed when using it.

------------------
"Those who cannot understand safe design nor fine trigger mechanics need not consider the 1911, for them, the Glock is a fine weapon, since it has neither!"---by Me.

Judge, the moly is excellent stuff. I have been using it on the rails of all of my guns, including my Colt GM 1911, and I really like it. It stays where you put it, a little goes a long way and the slide action is so smoooooth. I don't think you can do much better than the molybendum disulphide on the rails.

Frank

Oh, by the way, I use Militec1 for all parts that need a dab of oil. Good stuff too.

Frank

I picked up a tube of Sta-Lube assembly lube at Pep Boys the other day. It has moly, graphite, and lithium. It is specifically for metal-to-metal contact like you get with a new camshaft or new engine. I haven't had time to really test it, but it seems to work well, and it's a lot cheaper than the specialty gun products. It is made to dissolve away in oil, but that should not be a problem on frame/slide rails.

Byron, I have been using the StaLube on the rails of my guns for about a year now. I really like it and I think you will too. I thought the third ingredient was teflon, not lithium? Maybe they have revised the recipe in the last year.

Frank

It's entirely possible that the formula has changed. The version I bought comes in a 2.75 oz black squeeze tube, "Sta-Lube Engine Assembly Lube" Part No. SL3333. It says it is a lithium base with moly-graphite, no mention of teflon. I'm glad to hear it is good stuff; the price is certainly right and the squeeze tube is perfect for putting it where it needs to go.

I'm more than a little suspicious of the hype and high prices that attach to some of the specialty gun-care products, especially lubricants. For oiling points (other than slide rails, where I think you do want a high-pressure grease of some kind), I'm guessing that a quart of good 5W30 motor oil, or maybe one of the new synthetics, would be a perfectly adequate lifetime supply, with plenty left for the grandkids to inherit along with the guns.

Tetra-Grease on slide rails and sear, BreakFree on everything else.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

UPDATE ON Lubricants.

I just bought some Mobil 1 15w50 and it is fine. I also bought Mobile 1 synthetic grease for the slides and sears.

Price was right on both and I am hear to tell you, the gun is smoooooth, and the stuff stays were you put it.

Thanks for the info

Judge Blackhawk

by the way

Mobil 1 15w50 price 4.42
Mobil 1 Grease price 3.95

Darn nice price for such good product.

I still use stihl chainsaw grease on the rails. An old gunny suggested it to me many years ago years. He said any lube that could stand up the torture, heat, and grit of log cutting has got to be good. I still have most of the tube. Works great. I guess when I use up the tube (in 10 or 12 years), I'll try some of these new fangled products.

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited January 01, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited January 01, 2000).]

CLP, (it's Teflon based) I used in the Marines, as this is the only approved lubricant we used on the M16A2. Belive me, the stuff really works.
Keep 'em in the 10 ring...
Cowboy

I'm going to have to agree with the cowboy. I previously used Good old Hoppes Gun oil, but it gummed up a "non shooter" over a winter. On advice from the ar-15 list I completely stripped and cleaned all my semi's that I'd been using the Hoppes on, and re-lubed with Break Free (that's what us civilians use), no problems since.

HTH

BTW: When my wife and I bought a house this last spring, the old lock we were going to use on the shed had suffered from age, it was the same lock that I'd had on my locker in High School. I managed to get some CLP into the channel, it broke it loose overnight, and is still working great! While I hope that none of us abuse our weapons in this manner, I do think it shows just how well Break Free does in Cleaning, Lubricating, and Protecting.

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**

Back