Best Lube for Stainless...

kerry

Anyone have any opinions as to what the best lube is for stainless steel guns. I hear that the softness of stainless coupled with it's lack of natural lubricity (is that a word?) make galling a serious problem in firearms that do not have the proper lubrication.
I've heard that some think Teflon products are king, but I would like to hear any and all opinions.

I use Neco Molyslide on all my guns - stainless too. Used to use Tetra grease on the slide rails, but after trying Molyslide, the Tetra grease stays in the cleaning box.

Hi Kerry...For quite awhile I used to use CLP exclusively on all my pistols until I purchased a new Kimber Classic in stainless steel. Like you I heard about potential problems concerning galling of the slide on stainless guns. Some say their is no problem and some say there is.... but having no way to really know for sure I decided to get some lube made espesially for stainless steel pistols. After looking around I decided on Brownells stainles steel lubricant. It comes in a handy syringe that makes application a breeze. In fact I like it so much that I am now using it on all of my pistols. As far as I am concerned a grease type lubricant is the ONLY way to lube a pistol..The lube stays put...doesnt dry out...and makes the whole lube job on a pistol a much cleaner operation. No more oil seeping out of the slide!! I allso lube the coresponding barrel and slide components with an aplication of Brownells lubricant, everything else gets CLP. Hope this helps!

Stainless Steel is not "soft" realtive to the surface hardness of other metals measured on the Brinell or Rockwell Scale. The galling occurs due to the hardness of the Stainless Steel versus the softness. SS has a much more dense molecular structure than say Copper,brass or carbon steel.

If you don't believe me, try putting a grinding wheel to some plasma-cut Stainless Steel plates for de-burring purposes. Then, do the same with some A-36 steel. The SS will work you to death because it is harder.

While we are on the subject, one of the reasons that guns are made from 4140 alloy steel is because it reacts well to heat treating rendering high surface hardnesses. Moreover, 4140 Heat Treated metal will withstand heat incursions such as those associated with shooting a firearm.

As with all metals, there are varying grades of Stainless, usually determined by the nickle and moly content.

For those desiring authenticity of this post, I can only tell you I worked two years in the Mill Wright shop of one of the largest lumber mills in the South and then five years as a salesman for the largest Steel Service Center Organization in the world.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited January 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited January 15, 2000).]

Back