Best low-end (sub-$200) Spotting Scope?

DougB

I've read some posts on the subject and understand that top quality usually costs, but I just can't bring myself to spend more on a spotting scope than I did on most of my rifles. I need to be able to reliably see my .223 holes at 100 yards. Anything beyond that is "gravy" (though 200 yards would be nice). Which of the low-end spotting scopes would do this best (if any)?

I checked Cabellas and other catalogs, and a lot of scopes seem to be oriented toward hunting applications. Is there a difference between spotting scopes for hunting and for looking at holes in targets? I'm considering Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, etc. Might move up to a better brand if necessary. Thanks.

Doug

Doug, try the Sportsmans guide. I bought a Russian made spotting scope from them for about $60 to $70 awhile back. It is pretty good for the money and it is a variable 20x to 50x zoom with rubber armor coating. I use it at 100yards for spotting .223 and .308 and have no problems. Good scope for the money. Their website is www.sportsmansguide.com and the scope is made by Siber Optics. Good luck.

------------------
I AM NOT NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

[This message has been edited by theprisoner (edited March 02, 2000).]

Back