best long distance

gordon29

to be honest im beginning to take chuck hunting very seriouly what caliber can i use to reach 500 yards with minimal drop....how stong of a scope for 500 yards

Read what Zak posted, I have a lot of respect for someone who shoots longe range matches for g&g.

If I had to choose one rifle for varminting, flattest trajectory, good resistance to drift, I would mention a 6mm-06, 6.5-06, or a 280 Rem. There are a lot of long-range shooters who have a lot more experience than I do, but after shooting a lot of varmints at long and shorter range, one of those would be very high on my list if I was building a long-range shooter. In fact, I am building a rifle this winter . . .

As far as scopes go, a good 4-12X or a 5-15X, 6-18 max.

I shoot P-dogs in Wyoming and use the .308. Hornady 110 gr V-Max for up to 300 yards and the Sierra 155 gr. Palma for distances out to 700 yards.

My longest hit so far is 647 yards (took 2 shots). The main reason for using
.308 is the variety of bullets and load data also LR ballistics are readily available.

I use the Tikka Master Sporter with a Leupold 6-24LR scope with target knobs. The rifle has a detachable five round magazine that makes it easy to switch from the short range bullet to the mid range one when a target presents itself.

MVC-579F.JPG

Depends on how much you want to spend. I would start out with a Savage. The cheap route is either a .223, 22-250 or 243. My on again, off again project is a Savage in 22-243. I hope to finish it this winter. A 69-77 gr bullet at 3600-3700 fps is pretty darn flat.
OTOH the more I look into the 243 the more I am starting to like that often over looked cartridge. I will most likely use one when my club starts having 1,000 yd matches next year.

Back