Best load for home defense?

Pilate

I had an acquaintance pose this question to me recently. I know plenty about handguns, but nil about shotguns. What should I tell him and why? He's also curious about pricing... Can you help us out?

This is perhaps the most popular topic, Pilate,on this BB. A little research should give you plenty of input.

Much discussed topic. But since I don't like any of the answers you have been given so far, here is my two cents. 00 Buck, #2 0r #4, and the third option for HD ,rifled slugs for emergency. I currently have the mag full with 00. In side saddle are two #4 and two rifle slugs - 1oz. low recoil. :p

My favorite 12 gauge home defense load is the Federal Classic 2 3/4" #1 Buck Magnum shotshell, product number F130 1B. It contains twenty .30 caliber pellets and launches them at a reduced velocity (compared to a standard #1 buck shotshell -- unfortunately I don't have my notes handy). Lots of big holes with less risk of overpenetration.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

The FBI used to and still may favor #4 buck, Shawn, for the reasons you cite.

The HD 870 here at Casa McC has two #6 field loads up first, followed by 00. The premise, if I need more than a shot or two, I might WANT to shoot through the fridge or something.

When it's not deer season, the deer 870 gets a IC or Modified tube instead of the rifled one, and is topped off with 00 for backup.

My 870 Marine Magnum is loaded with 3" magnum, #1-Buckshot; for the intruder
who is willing to try it???? :D :) :p

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ala Dan Ditto. I love my #1 Buckshot in my Mossberg 500.
I honetly cant see going any smaller than a turky load for SD but that is just my opinion so I have used #4 shot.
But usually #1 buck :)

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

My Mossberg 590A1 is loaded with Federal Tactical 00 buck. Plus 6 more in the sidesaddle. Ammoman has it for a very good price, considering with "Law Enforcement use only" written all over it my LGS won't sell it.

When you care enough, send the very best.

Madkiwi

Back