Best load for Charter Arms .38 snub?

Alex Johnson

I was at the gunstore the other day and found a deal I couldn't pass up. A brand new mid 80's vintage Charter Arms Off Duty in the box for a little over $100. I know this pistol is not sanctioned for +P loads and that's all I shot in the last snub that I had. I've always liked the snub .38's, but what are the choices for non +P defensive loads out there? The only ones I've seen in the category I'm looking for are the Federal Personal Defense 110 grain loads, are there any others out their?

That and the regular Gold Dots. In the 60s we used wadcutters.:) We even loaded the hollow base ones backwards!
Of course now we have real HP.

Alex,

Many of us with alloy frame guns carry +P's and practice with non-+P's. FWIW, the 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow point +P loads seem to find favor in all ballistic camps. (M+S/Fackler)

Mine shoot both loads close enough for practice. I do like to run the occasional cylinderfull of +Ps through to reconfirm POI/POA.

An option is the 125 Federal Nyclad loads. I've chrono'ed those at an honest 925 FPS in a J frame S&W.

Giz

Back