Best Lever-Action?

RPM

I'm looking to buy a lever action rifle, probably in 30/30. Having never shot or handled one of these rifles before, I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. Winchester, Henry, Marlin?
I'd appreciate any advice.

------------------
If man wore black feathers and flew, few would be clever enough to be crows"
-Henry Ward Beecher

Hi RPM, I won't pick a best one from your list but I have owned three. A Winchester 30-30 that was my sons first deer rifle. A Marlin in 45-70 for my saddle rifle and I now own another Winchester in 356 which brings me to my point. This new "Big bore" which Winchester calls it is a fine rifle capable of firing a heavy round and has side ejection for use with a scope. I have a four power on mine. Now for the good part. If you handload like I do you can shoot the factory 200 or 250 grain bullets which would be fine for most big game out to about 200 yards and then handload 357 pistol bullets for plinking, varmints or just plain fun. I load 125 grain Hornady XTP's at 2500 fps. The're devistating on jack rabbits and pop cans. Very cheap to reload also. Just thought you might like one more option for your "cowboy gun". Bob T.

If you are looking for something above .30 cal then get a Model 71 Winchester in .348 Win. Browning makes a good reproduction that is still available.

If you are staying in .30 cal, get yourself an 1895 Winchester lever action. They recently made a nice repro of their original 1895 gun. In .30-06 and .270.

Hi RPM,

If you want to stick with the .30-30, and aren't enamored with the Old West stuff, get a Marlin 336 and be happy. Good rifle and you can put a scope on it without having it look like an afterthought.

Jim

Lets not forget about the Browning BLR and the Savage 99. I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. It is a deer slayer. I have always wanted one of those Savage 99's though. Great rifle.

RPM , I have owned both Winchester and Marlin and I prefer Marlin . I think either brand will serve you well though . Good luck , Mike...

I too like the Marlin over other lever action rifles. I just think it is better built. I have a 30/30 Marlin and it would be the last rifle I would give up if times got hard. But I would never fault anyone for picking a Winchester. I like the 30/30 round for hunting Florida dear. You can always find 30/30 ammo in any place that sales ammo

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

As you can see, there are alot of lever action fans here. If you want a 30-30 go with either the Winchester or the Marlin. Both are great guns. Try going to gun shops or stores and handling both before you make a decision. Pick the one you like best. BTW: places like Wal-Mart, etc usually carry both rifles cheaper than gun shops. Volume buying power ya know. If you're thinking about putting a scope on it, definately get the Marlin. Much easier to mount a scope on.

Myself, I'm a Winchester man. I just think they handle better. I also wouldn't dream of defacing a good lever gun with a scope.

Just my $.02

If you can stand a smaller caliber, the '92 Winchester rifle will completely spoil you with it's silky smooth action, but it isn't available in powerful calibers, mostly pistol cartridges. They do make them in 44 mag, though, but those rifles are from Rossi and the other italian companies. Browning made a great little model in 357 mag, what a sweet little carbine. I agree, a scope just doesn't look right on a lever rifle, up here in the northeast you almost never need one anyway, most shots are 75 yards or less for our whitetails.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Personally I prefer Marlins over Winchesters. Currently have about half a dozen Marlins in the safe, a Savage and a Winchester. Haven't shot the Savage (.308) yet, it's a present for my dad. Found it used at a gunshow for $300, which is a good price around here. Would like to eventually add a Browning also.
I prefer lever actions as i'm left handed and they are easier for me to operate than throwing a bolt, though I can do it easily by taking the weapon off my shoulder. I'm just faster with a lever action.

RPM. Ah the choices we are forced to make.
I am small boned so the Winchester feels better to me. The Marlins feel a bit clubby. Accuracy wise, they seem to be about equal. (I have both Winchester and Marlin rifles.) If a scope is absolutely necessary, both rifles are now set up to be scoped. The earlier (non-angle eject) models need a side mount which I detest. Fact is I detest scoping any lever action. It looks like hell, changes the balance, and is just plain clunky, to me.
If you should want to use cast bullets in your 30-30, the Winchester is easier to make shoot with accuracy than a Micro-groove Marlin. (I did some experimenting a few years back with cast lead. I can duplicate 170 gr. factory in my 30-30's, including accuracy, and bullet mushrooming.) I no longer use jacketed bullets in mine.
I guess my best advice is to pick the one that feels the best to you. Unless a scope is absolutely necessary, I would put a good receiver sight on it, sight it in and forget it.
Paul B.

Lefty Here.....Marlins are good, Winchesters are classic....But I just love the Browning BLR....that rack&gear is slick smooth..!
And it shoots like a bolt gun...fits well, and shoulders easily...comes right to eye..no problem with mounting scope...and has a nice box detachable magazine...enabling you to use pointed bullets over...which is not recommended in any tublar magazine gun like the Marlin or Winchester.

My vote : Browning BLR..!
Wolf

All right then, how about some input for my thread for the "Ideal 357 Load for a Winchester Lever Action"? Hmmm? Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Back