"Best Kept Revolver Secret"?

ReserveCop

I learned something today I never knew existed in a regular, current production firearm...a large caliber (i.e. .357) 8 shot wheelgun!

From another post of mine, I found out from fellow TFL members that both Taurus and S&W make 8 shot .357 revolvers...wow!

Now for my questions:

1 -- Why don't LEO's and armed security officers (who are still issued wheelguns) use these 8 shot weapons instead of their 6 shooters? I don't know of any who do.

2 -- Is there any drawback of an 8 shot revolver vs. a 6 shot gun?

3 -- Why are so few models made in a 8 shot version since the trend for many people is to semi-autos with a 10 round plus capacity? Would not an 8 shot wheelgun compete better with a semi-auto?

4 -- In short, why is the 8 shot .357
revolver such a secret to the general gun owning public?

Thanks for your opinions.

1 -- Why don't LEO's and armed security officers (who are still issued wheelguns) use these 8
shot weapons instead of their 6 shooters? I don't know of any who do.

I suspect that those who upgrade from 6 shot revolvers tend to go to the autos.

2 -- Is there any drawback of an 8 shot revolver vs. a 6 shot gun?

Size and weight.

3 -- Why are so few models made in a 8 shot version since the trend for many people is to
semi-autos with a 10 round plus capacity? Would not an 8 shot wheelgun compete better with a
semi-auto?

I think that the magazine ban gave life to the 8 shot revolver. I mean, which is better: an 8 shot .357 or a 10 shot 9? But this isn't an issue for police, and large cap magazines are still easy to find.

4 -- In short, why is the 8 shot .357
revolver such a secret to the general gun owning public?

Well, since they have been on the cover of Guns & Ammo, they can hardly be called a secret. Obviously, some would prefer a 6 shot .44 or .45, and some would prefer a small 6 shot .357. Others prefer a semi auto. Not everyone is going to jump on an 8 shot .357.

Jerry Miculek set a record with an 8 shot revolver. I saw it played on TV, damn was it fast.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/misc/records.html

I think a lot of people don't know about the 8 shot .357 revolvers, because most shops don't stock them. The S&W is pricey. You can get two regular revolvers, or two 7 shot 686 plus revolvers, for the cost of the 8 shot. The 8 shot S&W in a 4" barrel wouldn't be a bad carry gun. It is built on the same N frame as the old model 28 Highwaypatrolman. But a smaller K frame or L frame would be easier to tote all day. I think most people who buy the 8 shot S&W are guys who are into shooting games, like pin shoots, where the 8 shot revolver will better compete with the 8 shot 1911 semiauto pistol. I havn't ever shot a Taurus. I am sure some guys like them. But I have heard of people starting with a Taurus because of economy, then later picking up a S&W for the quality.

The current Performance Center 4" M27 is about $1,100 retail! I'd like to see it become a regular production item, and stainless, for much less. The bummer would be waiting around to find a used one.:)

LUCKY SEVEN SHOOTERS ARE MY BAG!

I have and use as my primary weapons, a pair of Taurus 357 7-shot revolvers. They make 7-shot speedloaders that are only marginally more bulky than the 6-shot models.
One has a 6-inch tube, the other a 2-inch tube. I love the looks of the guys at the range when I start blamming away with them...and a seventh round goes down the lane before I crack it open to reload....like the commercials say...PRICELESS.

I tried the 8-shot Taurus, but found it to be too bulky for comfortable carry. Don't touch S&W for political reasons.

Like Bulldozer says, watching the uninitiated when you are using a 7 or 8 shot revolver is fun. I introduced a 7 and then an 8 shot revolver to our local action pistol competition. The first time I popped open the cylinder on my 8 shot S&W PC 627 V-Comp ($20 at the IRC raffle) the RO did a priceless double take.

It is typical for action shooters to armchair strategize for the current shooter on the squad, imagining where s/he will have to reload, etc. When I first brought out the 7 shot, that put them off balance when I didn't take the reload breaks they expected. Just about the time they got used to counting 7 shots I got the 8 shot and they had to learn to count all over again. Gave me a few chuckles.

Seven and eight shot revolvers have been very popular at revolver competitions for the last few years and are almost now a standard at the International Revolver Championship.

Back