Best Iron Sights for Competition

vox rationis

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can give me some good info here.

I just got a 2nd generation Glock 17 that I'll be sending to Gock for an upgrade, and I'm thinking of having Glock replace the standard cheap plastic sights.

I would be using this gun mainly for target practice and maybe IDPA/competition shooting.

What are the best iron combat/IDPA competition sights out there. I was thinking of having Glock replace the plastics with the same U and dot set up but in a steel version, would these be good? I like the arrangement just fine, but would a three dot/other arrangement be better? I also thought that night sights would be cool, but since this gun won't likely be a carry gun, I'm thinking night sights would not be good for competition/target shooting.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Son, if you have no intent on this being a carry gun I think the fastest sight setup is the heinie slant pro rear with a dawson fiber optic front. The fiber optic sights are extreamly fast to aquire and very easy to track in recoil. The warren tactical sights and Dave sevigny sights are great as well and are made even better coupled with a FO front. You can find these sights off of www.sevignyperformance.com . If you change your mind and want to go with tritium sights my 2 favorite are the heinie streight 8 race cut sights and the truglo TFO sights. The truglos are the brightest night sights I've ever seen and are also really bright in the day time becuase they are FO.

i ron

Mine: My Caspian 45 has worn a Caspian fiber-optic front for over ten years.

I recently installed a Dawson fiber-optic front on oneamy SA 1911s (the .110" version); most highly recommend.

My Caspian wears a Caspian ghost-ring bladed BoMar rear; my Dawson-front SA wears a notch-widened (by me; .145") factory-adjustable rear.

Best, for me.

Not sure how you're using your sights now, but rapid combat sights are ill-suited for target shooting and vice-versa.
I'd go for Tru-Glo TFO, as they generate a sharp 3-dot image (visible in all light conditions) while the eye is focused on the target.

Thanks for the info guys..I've looked at the Heine slant pro rears and the Dawson's FO front sights..and at the TruGlo TFO's and I think I'm going to go with the TruGlo TFO's, everyone seems to dig them and I like the idea of them being bright in the day and at night. They also seem to be a good choice for something like IDPA and self defense if necessary. I wouldn't mind the Heine rear with the Dawson front sight, but too bad Dawson doesn't make a FO sight with Trijicon (like the TFO's).

Are any of the TFO colors seemngly brighter, relatively speaking, compared to the others? In other words, is the yellow brighter than the green, etc?
If possible I'd like to put the brightest color on the front sight obviously.

Back