Best inexpensive ML?

I am not going to spend over $300 on this ML. I prefer even less. It must have the same type of action as the Omega (drop action) or similar design. I've been looking at Winchester Apex. I haven't had many responses on other forums. Opinions on the Apex or CVA? Other recommendations? (don't recommend Omega or Revolution....I already know about them) Oh! I also want a long barrel for distance and not too heavy. Interested in modern only.

Stay away from CVA/WINCHESTER period. They have cheap Spanish barrels and have been known to blow up worse than any. You know your going to get what you pay for, with that said look at the NEF Sidekick. You can pick one up for as little as $160 to a little over $200. If it was me I would save my money and pick up a Savage 10ML-II or a T/C Encore.

I would also recommend one of the US made break action rifles. Only down side to that for me is they use some kind of plastic carrier for the 209 primer ala Knight which turns me off. For another $60 you can get a .25ACP conversion breechplug for most of the rifles like that and then you solved two problems. You get rid of the "maybe never can find" plastic thingy and you can get rid of the too hot and too powerful 209 primer and use small rifle primers. That helps to get rid of the 777 crud ring problem. I have the conversion for both my Omega and my Pursuit LT (spanish barrel which I do not think is prone to blow up contrary to a lot of unfounded talk). I do not shoot maximum loads in any of my rifles and certainly not in the less expensive spanish made rifles just to be safe in case my rifle happens to be one with some kind of defect. The Pursuit is nice but the trigger is terrible and will be redesigned at some point I am sure. Go with the US break action.

Dwhunter is right on target with this- I would personally recommend the Savage MLII for the advantages such as the strength , accuraccy and not having to clean the bore after shooting (smokeless powder) -plus the ability to use black powder, T7, Pyrodex, or a host of smokeless( lots cheaper per shot!)powders... you may be able to pick up a used one for your price range but if you want a non smokeless drop action the NEF sidekick would be a good choice- and as stated there have been 'mishaps' with the lower quality 'spanish barreled' CVA, Winchesters, Ect... If you're going to use it with anything approaching a hot load (most guys do!) spend a little more and save yourself- Quality never goes away ! My $0.02 - :)

Back