Best home defense handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTW

Inactive
Recently been shopping for my first handgun and needed some educated opinions. I'd like something:
1. RELIABLE (1 trigger pull=1 bang.)
2. Stopping power (I don't want to have to reload to stop 1 or 2 burglars because they are just mad and bleeding)
3. Inexpensive (No trick $800 Wilson .45)

I've found 1 overpriced Ruger GP-100 .357 4" SS locally for $419. Please help!

The best gun to have in your hands to defend your home is a shotgun. I prefer my Remington 870 12 gauge with it's 20" IC barrel. I load mine with #4 buck, but #6 shot would probably be just as effective at in-home distances.

If you must have a handgun I will have to go with the wheelgunners even though I don't own one. A missfire is taken care of by only pulling the trigger again.

As far as pistols go, I own a Sig 226 and a Ruger P-94 (9mm) and I'd recommend either. The Ruger is relatively inexpensive and mine has never failed to function. (If only they were as accurate as my 1911)

------------------
"An unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Cesare Beccaria, the father of modern criminology

You'd be best served with a .357 revolver. Great thing is that you can shoot .38 rounds out of a .357 (low cost for target practice) One other thing is that revolvers do not have the inherent reliability problems that are associated with autos. Try a few out at a local range and see which one fits you best.

Ditto Sport45 on a shotgun being the ultimate home defense weapon.

If you're working with handguns for this purpose, what I think you might want to consider (based on your criteria) is a revolver. Take a look at a S&W Mod 10 series in .38 Special. Loaded with 158 gr +P LSWCHPs, they will do the job, as long as you place them on the target. You should be able to pick up a used one at a very reasonable price. They come in a skinny tapered 4" bbl or (better IMHO) a 4" bull bbl.

Good luck...

Mike

the ultimate home defense gun??

Pay the transer tax and get your self a legal sawed-off shotgun.

Barring that, a good solid revolver (colt smith ruger) in 357 or a 45 auto would be good choices. Load it with silvertips or hydra shocks.

But if it's one shot, no hassles, no BS a shotgun full of #4 shot is the way to go. Nothing says "get the **** outta my house" like a pump action shotgun being racked. You might not even NEED to pull the trigger.

Dr.Rob

Sounds like you pretty much ruled out revolvers.

Based on your criteria of expensive, I'd consider the DAO Ruger P97. Unlike the Glock, in event of a failure to fire, you have a second chance with the cartridge since the trigger is independent of the slide. Note, I'm not getting into a tactical discussion over whether it's better to pull the trigger again in lieu of performing Tap, Rack, Bang. Given that staying with one response to a failure reduces the reaction time, you have another option which has merit if you've never praticed one handed Tap, Rack, Bang.

The Ruger is less expensive than any other .45, reliable and accurate (the plastic framed Ruger P97 is more accurate than other Ruger pistols). There's nothing else to buy for it except spare magazines. Personally, unless TSHTF, I won't use guns for self defense at home. The gun you use will be confiscated and probably be subject to less than ginger treatment by the cop in the property room.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Glock 22.

Reliable, powerful, and always in arms reach. Your home deffense pistol should always be with you when you are at home, save for when you are asleep or in the shower.

MrTW,

As you know, a lot of questions like this are posted to this board. More reasonable advice could be provided if additional information was available. For example:
a) Will this handgun ever be carried concealed, or will it be strictly an "at home" defensive weapon?
b) How much will you practice with this weapon?
c) Where do you live: urban/suburban/rural and in a multiple or single family dwelling?
d) How much experience do you have with firearms in general and handguns in specific?
e) Will others (e. g., your wife) have access to this weapon?

These -- and others -- are consequential questions, since each can easily influence your decision re the "ideal" handgun. For example:
a) Concealed carry may disqualify some larger pistols and revolvers (I carry a full sized 1911A1 concealed all the time, but many experts feel it is too large and heavy).
b) Revolvers are generally thought to require less familiarity and practice than semiautomatics.
c) Urban, multiple dwellings may disqualify some very high muzzle velocity loads (e. g., .357 magnum).
d) If you are fairly inexperienced with weapons and handguns, a high quality revolver (such as a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP-100) may be ideal, particularly a .357 magnum loaded with .38 special hollow points.
e) Ergonomics, comfort and hand-fit are very important criteria, and a grip that feels natural is particularly important if one does not regularly practice.

Hope this helps.

My $0.02 on this matter:

Revolver-

Smith and Wesson model 686, .357 Magnum, 4" barrel. Load it with Federal 125-grain hollowpoint, Glaser safety slugs, or Cor-Bon 125 grain .38+P (for recoil-sensitive folks).

Automatic-

Glock model 23, .40 S&W. Load with any good hollowpoint. I prefer 135 grain Cor-Bon.

Shotgun-

Remington 870 in 12 gauge. Load with Federal Premium 2-3/4" 00 Buck. Get a nice 18.5" barrel. Nothing says "F&^% you" like racking a 12 gauge shotgun.

The opinions expressed herein are completely subjective, based on personal preference, and not objective in any way. ;>

Consider a Smith and Wesson third generation auto pistol in .40 S&W. With the magazine disconnect device, you can keep a round in the chamber while the loaded magazine is kept nearby but secured from unauthorized hands. The pistol will not fire until you re-insert the magazine.

This choice may not quite meet your price criterion, but a police trade-in may be had for less than a new one, and it will be (most likely) in good condition.

After you buy a firearm, spend a day with a reputable firearms instructor. A decent retailer could probably suggest one or two. The extra $100 or $200 will be money well-spent.

If you are looking for strictly home defence and not carry, you'd be hardpressed to find a weapon than one of the S&W .45 ACP revolvers. They are a little hard to find (those that have them, don't part with them), but they're out there. They are easy (and by far the quickest and safest) to load and unload, pack a potent punch (even with ball but better with a WC or JHP), you can buy .45 ammo for a song and if you stick to 230 grain stuff standard velocity stuff, it all shoots more or less the same (no practices with .38 Special 140 grain WCs and carrying .357 125 JHPs). In terms of price, it's pretty much buyers' market when comes to revolvers. (One the local gun dealers has two of the Brazilian models for $150--which means $100 to $125--each, but they would probably require a trip to the gunsmith just to be safe.)

It is a wise thing to have a gun for self-protection. It is even wiser to:

Buy a gun after you take a basic handgun course and have tried out several.

Don't buy a shotgun unless you intend to
do a little tactical training with one.
It's easy to say they are the best gun.
Say that again after you've trained with
them a bit.

In a house situation, it's quite debatable
about handgun vs. shotgun for various reasons.

Many decent trainers around nowadays.

I agree with many of the posts here. Shotguns are the best for home defense. However, I like Remington 1100 semiautos better than 870 pumps. It has been my experience that the 1100 semiauto actions with good factory shells are more reliable than the manual racking 870 actions.

i like to agree with the shotgun guys for home defense. i have my remington model 58 next to my bed loaded and ready to rock. of course the only reason for that is because i sold all my handguns. my sig will be here wed. then ill have the sig and the 12 ga. next to me. The only issue with shotguns are the length. i feel like i can reach for my handgun faster and be in firing stance faster if someone was to come in quickly and try to take over the situation. a short shotgun is without question better. but even then you have to think of size. going around corners in your home barrel first gives the bad guy a chance to reach for the barrel and take the gun from the other side of the wall. of course this is only one case. The best thing to do is get some training. then make a choice.

good luck. let us know what u decided on.

------------------
TIM : )

MrTW,
Get a handgun. I beg to differ in getting a shotgun. Just my own opinion.
Something like a Glock 17, 19, or 23. Load it with Federal HydraShok or Cor Bon. If you're wondering about safeties then get a saf-t-blok.
Then get a reliable flashlight. It's your choice whether to have it mounted to your pistol or not. I don't suggest MiniMags. Better to get a Sure Fire or a Scorpion. Much more powerful in a lighter package.
Don't forget to train well too.

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

Per my above post, I pistol has the huge benefit of always being with in arms reach. I would rather have a 22 pistol in my hand, than a mortar that I can't get to.

Please don't hurt me, but... Why has nobody mentioned the possibility of a good repeating rifle? Depending on where you live (urban or rural) A good semi or lever action could be a viable way to go. If penetration is a concern, get som frangible ammo, such as Longbow or Hornandy Tactical. I know some folks would disagree on the basis of muzzle blast, but when the balloon goes up, who is going to notice? As for a pistol, if you don't practice much, the Ruger 357 is a good choice.

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

[This message has been edited by tobeat1 (edited November 16, 1999).]

Alright, here are some opinions to throw in the fire (if you aren't confused enough already)
1. I don't like Glock, especially for home defense, because if you ask me, they don't have a safety. maybe that shouldn't matter, but it does to me.. This is not to mention that I am uncomfortable with the fact they do not have a hammer.
2. I liked the idea of the S&W .357 revolver earlier. I plan to purchase one for home defense someday. Reason being, as was mentioned earlier, you can use .357 magnum hydrashocks for maximum stopping power, but .38 specials for cheap target rounds. One thing I think that should be added to that statement is that I have found that the two loads place differently in shooting my father's gun... Thus, regardless of wether it is my style or actually because of the load, I find it is important to alternate your 38 rounds with the .357 rounds you use for home protection to keep fresh.
3. If I might also add that if you do purchase a S&W .357 wether it be used or new, I would seriously consider having the trigger reworked after you gain some confidence with the gun. My fathers .357 old service revolver has been done, and it seems to be much more accurate, especially for us beginners! I would ONLY have it done after gaining confidence, simply because if you went straight to a 4-6 pound trigger pull (I reccomend 6) you might accidentally discharge in a home defense situation because you will be nervous (god forbid it should happen)
I won't get into shotguns, because quite honestly I am nearly clueless about them
Happy Hunting! Do let us know what you decide!

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

Opinions are like,uh, navels, everybody's got one. Here's mine,based on lots of experience and training.

Shotguns are potentially the best approach for HD. I say potentially because after 10 years as an instructor, I've seen no one move past bare minimum proficiency unless they LIKE to shoot shotguns. If you hunt, shoot clays, skeet or trap, a shortbbled, fast handling shotgun may be the most effective weapon for inside 25 yards. If you don't,look elsewhere.

And, a HD weapon has to be effective in all hands that may need it in your family, Neither Wife nor Daughter like shotguns, so there's alternatives here for them. The 870 is mine...

And, safety has to be mandatory, If there's kids or irresponsible adults that may have access to a stored weapon,you need to figure out a way to keep the weapon accessible, but away from the wrong hands. Gun safes, trigger locks,etc...

You mentioned cost. There's millions of used DA handguns out there in 38 and 357 at reasonable prices and with generations of service left to them.S&W, Colt, Ruger,even Dan Wesson, all have examples on the market with great value and worth.While the crunchentickers with the mega mags get the press, revolvers just keep on working and working.

And, to another person in the house that may need to use a HD weapon, revolvers are easier to train to proficiency than the autos.

Hope this helps...

The best defence against an attacker is vigilance. Rarely are attackers going to announce their presence, and in most cases it will be too late to "get that shotgun", or wheelgun unless adequate preparation is made.

One should have a ready made plan of action in case an intrusion occurs. W/o one, panic and self-doubt will gain control, and the intruder will have the upper hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back