Best Hog Hunting Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

979Texas

I have been hunting hogs since I was 9 years old down here in the deep deep southeast corner of the post oak savanah down in Texas. I love hog hunting and do it year round because of the prolific hog population down here. Anyways I have used all the way from Ruger 10/22's and 12 gauges with 000 buckshot and pistols all the way up to .35 remington and AR-15s to take down hogs as well as hunting with dogs and using a knife to neutralize the hog. So I just want yalls' personal favorites and opinions on guns for hog hunting in general. Thanks.

I shot a monster boar with my AAC Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout, Nikon AR 3x scope...this year I will be back among them with a Ruger Scout .223 with a Bushnell AR luminated 1x4. Of course the Handi and one of my 300 Blackout AR's will be there too.

Yeah all I have really used in the past few years for hogs is a 300 blackout M&P 15 and hav had great success with it. It is still my main carry rifle for hogs.
And natman I bet that 358 is a real beast for hogs.

I usually shoot them at night and I have a Remington 760 pump carbine length in 30-06 set up with iron sights, a laser, and a flashlight. I have also shot (and killed) them with AR-15 (.223) and also with 4" .357 magnum revolver, but the 30-06 knocks the snot out of them and I'll carry that if I'm specifically looking for them.

If i'm in the woods I'm usually carrying a Henry .44mag or Remington 1100 12ga with a 629 on my side as backup. Over a field with a less than 100yd shot, my frankengun AR in 6.8spc or 300BO. For over a 100yd shot, either my 700 in .270 or my 788 in .308. I like variety when hog huntin lol.

Kinda depends on how close you wanna get to them. Any rifle that you'd use on a deer will work, and then some.

Brush or night hunting may take something different than an average deer rifle... Most choose a carbine...

Some run suppressors and night scopes

I have taken them with a 9mm pistol.

A fresh group of pigs busily rooting around can be quite into what they are doing. They are making noise, ears are focused on the task at hand. I've snuck right up on them before. Walk in a grazing animal pattern... Not too deliberate but not too sneaky.

A rifle that you know you can shoot well is the best choice. One less variable to deal with if buck fever strikes... Or hog fever lol

Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is my main gun. When we go on a pig hunt I always take back up guns in case something happens to my main gun. I also use a Remington 700 in 270 and now I picked up a Marlin in 45/70 to mess with. I only carry the 270 when I will be sitting over a field. For brush hunting the Marlin 336 is great.

I eventually want to get an AR in 6.8 or 6.5

I use a Marlin 336C in .35 Remington; around here, you generally hunt close is, so I don't mind the trade off in range of the .35 Remington over say a .223 for the power behind the .35

Whatever I have with me at the time. Anything to put lead in one whether it dies on the spot or runs off and dies.

Yes, you've repeatedly made remarks to show your hatred for hogs and pride in your opinion that hogs deserve a very painful and lingering death. I'm one of those kooks who believes that killing any animal should be done humanely, with as little suffering as possible, and for any hunter to purposely do otherwise is unethical and makes all hunters look bad.

Some seem to confuse hog hunting and hog extermination...

Hunting feral hogs for sport and trophy is a very different activity than hog control. Both activities bear little resemblance to one another...

Both should be done as humanely as possible. Many people suffer lots of damage from hogs, if I were in their shoes, I'd shoot them on sight with whatever was available...

Sport hunting has it's mishaps too, I personally don't like bow hunting, even if done within the ethics of a "sportsman" the animal will most surely suffer for a period.
I've seen plenty of expert, ethical hunters shoot a deer or whatever and it runs for long periods of time

My new favorite is 450 Bushmaster for my shorter range stuff. At long range, I shoot them with a bit of everything. 7 Rum puts on quite a show.

There is no confusion rickyrick. Whether it be hog, rat, mouse, groundhog, or coyote, a quick, humane, death is ethical, and anything otherwise plays right into the anti's favorite negative stereotype. The only difference between hunting animals and exterminating them should be in the number you take, and what you do with it after it's dead. Just my opinion as somebody who has been in the position of defending the sport to persuadable people.

You don't have a hog problem in Ohio. We do in SC, NC, GA, TX, FLA, MS, LA, when you see the destruction they can do to a farm or forest, then you tend to start changing your mind on the vermin. Hogs aren't game animals, there is no protection or seasons, they are a non-native invasive species not indigenous to the area and are not to be afforded the respect or care as other animals.

I could care less what your opinion is, you don't know or understand what we deal with. Hogs are warm blooded cockroaches with bigger appetites, its that simple. But, I'm sure you take great pains to exterminate or ethically hunt roaches, flies and ants down with fair chase and humane deaths. Get over yourself, you don't have a clue.

I use a scoped AR chambered in 7.62x39 Russian. I load 123 grain Horandy SST's. As long as I do my job, the hog goes down and the farmer/rancher/ State Wildlife Manager is happy.
Yes, when I have drawn permits for deer hunts through the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife, the briefing includes words to the effect of "If you see a hog, shoot it. If you want to keep it for meat, be sure to follow our safe handling guidelines. If you don't want to keep it, no problem."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back