Best highly concealable .40 pistol

X-KILL

I am interested in purchasing an additional .40 pistol for extreme concealment in those times when my USP40C is just a bit too much to deal with.

I know that Kahr gets a lot of press but I have yet to get my hands on one to see for myself.

Very interested in the opinions of you fellow TFL'ers. Top quality is a must as I believe that junk stuff gives you junk service. Looking forward to your input.

Merry Christmas to you all

OK - my experience is worth what you
paid for it.

1. Glock 27. Love it. Reliable. Easy to
shoot if you shoot 40s. A tad thick.

2. Kahr 40s - nice feel, also easy to shoot
A little heavier than the Glock

3. Kel-tec - nice and concealable. Shot
the 9mm a bit. Friends find them
reliable - trigger stinks.

None are really extreme concealment guns.
You need to drop down in caliber for that.

P-32s or you can wait for the new Seecamp
in 380.

The Kahr would probably be my choice, and it's small enough to conceal without being too heavy. If size is the consideration, I'd look at the Sig P239 in .40, for which you can also get the drop-in barrel to change it to a .357 Sig firearm.

Hope it helps.

Well, you've already got a USP40 Compact, so the only logical step downward is a pocketable pistol. I don't think the SIG or Kel-Tec are small enough.

The Kahr MK40 is what you want, I think. I love mine. It's the logical backup to my USP40f. The only competitor is the Glock 27. Try 'em both if you can, and get what you like best.

Morgan,

Would you put a G27 in the category of a "pocket gun"? I think that if that's what a person is looking for, then a snub-nosed .38 would be the choice, IMO.

The Kahr MK40 seems to be the best choice for extreme concealment because of its size. Glocks are great and I love my Kel Tec but one gun that wasn't mentioned is the Taurus Millenium which I believe is available in .40 S&W. Unfortunately, I think it is similar in size to the Kel-Tec. Its unique in that it is DAO with a frame mounted safety. I don't have personal experience with the Taurus but maybe someone else does. Its received pretty good reviews from the magazines and is worth a look if you can find one at a local store or range.

There seems to be one everyone is overlooking the Taurus PT-140. A well refined Keltec of sorts. Very similar to the Glock and smaller and lighter than the Kahr. Not to mention about half the cost. It's almost as short as the Kahr weighs over 3oz. less (19oz. empty) it's thinner than the Kahr or the Glock. It holds 10 plus 1 compared to Kahr's 5 plus 1. It fires via a striker system simalar to the Glock BUT has a "real" safety if your inclined to use it. And it can be had with a stainless slide over the polymer frame. I have a PT-111 (9mm) and it shoots as well as any Glock I've fired. And it is the most concealable Mid- caliber I've seen. Give it a look and good luck on your quest! www.taurususa.com

Bob - I think the Glock 27 is pocketable, but a little big. The Kahr is more pocketable, but a little heavy. X-Kill specified .40, but a J-frame Airweight would also be a fine choice.

My experience with the Taurus Millenium wasn't bad, but the thing is just plain cheap. Most of the time, you get what you pay for, and this is no exception. Terrible trigger, mag release too easy to trip accidentaly for a carry gun, and just a cheap and cheesy feel to the whole thing. Mine never failed to fire, never jammed (did have the mag release tripped in holster, making it a one-shot), but it was not to my liking. I guess too many HKs and SIGs have made me something of a snob ;). The Kahr fits with my snobbery just fine :).

Morgan,

I agree with your assessment. The Kahr is a little heavy, but I think I would probably favor it over the G27 just for the ability to put it in my pocket.

Personally, I don't really care for the airweights, as there is nothing there to take up any of the recoil (except your hand!). Then again, I'm 6'3" and a little over 270 pounds, so finding a place to "hide" a gun on my person doesn't mean in a pocket. My Sig P239 goes along with me just fine.

Back