Best gun for the daughter in IDPA...

cqbshooter

Inactive
What would be the Best gun for the daughter in IDPA...She is 13 and shoots the P22 very well but we need to get her a 9MM for IDPA. ANY THOUGHS?

Don & Lexie

A SA Loaded would be about right.
Our club has such a shooter. Dad started her out with a 3913 but the light weight and tough DA-SA trigger worked against her. Her shooting improved considerably when she went to 1911. She is entered in CDP for the Nationals.
We have another grown woman of small stature whose guy started her out with an XD because he figured she was too stupid to operate a thumb safety. The tough trigger and broad butt were more trouble, and when she went to a 1911 and business picked right up.

Proper istruction in the use of all the buttons and levers on a 1911 makes it a lot easier to get hits with than trying to teach control of the tough triggers common on other action types.

Next possibility would be a Glock 17. Trigger is poor but at least consistent, and improvable.

Anything else is just a gimmick with only theoretical support; you don't see many other makes and models at big matches.

Jim's right, though I would have put the Glock on top of the 1911 for simplicity and reliability. Also, depending on her hand size and strength, it's possible she might find a G19 more comfortable than the 17 or 34.

You could look into a Glock 19 or a XD-9. The XD has a more contoured grip and may fit her better, but on the other hand the Glock fit better.

Really though, take her to the gun shop and see what fits her hand. That's going to be the easiest way to find something that she likes and will have fun shooting. What may be fun for one (shooting +P+ in a S&W Airlight) may not be another.

Went thru same thing with my 12 yr old. Her mother got in on her first gun selection. Big suprise she picked one that she had real difficulty shooting. A SW 9mm auto. She now shoots a Glock 17, 35 or Taurus 24/7 in 9mm. Ahe recently got to shoot my STI open gun and really wants one.

Mike

Back