Best gun coating?

Wtlj

Inactive
I recently acquired a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. The gun is awesome however the finish is terrible. The slide has spots where bluing is missing and the aluminum frame has wear from slide movement and magazine insertion as well as a few scratches. The gun is definitely well used but for the price I got it I'm willing to put a few bucks back into it for a nice finish. I was all set in sending the slide back to a guy in the trading post classifieds to do a hot blueing job. I started to think, the slide will look brand new which will make the frame look even worse, doesn't make much sense!
So since I can't blue the kimber aluminum frame I started thinking about coating the slide and frame. After only a few hours of research I have a darn headache! Cerakote, diamondkote, kg gunkote, robar, dura coat. So what should I do? I want a matte black finish and nothing fancy. I want to do the entire pistol. I also don't want to spend a ton, would like to stay under $140 with shipping both ways. Any recommendations of refinishers on this forum?

Here's who'd Id look into....

For a black, non glare type treatment, Id look into Black-T, www.Black-t.com .
Walter Birdsong was a industry leader in the areas of firearm coatings & treatments. His firm did many custom jobs for HRT members(FBI) & spec ops units.

Other good choices include Robar(black oxide), www.Robarguns.com , Swanson Armory(DuraCoat), APWcogan.com CeraKote.
Some like Bearcoat too.

Check for prices, warranties & shop time. Custom work may take weeks or months depending on the demand.

Black-T....

I looked at the Black T website.
They state a order price of $165.00 for doing an entire pistol plus 2 magazines.
That's close to the $140.00 mark, ;) .

CF

Your aluminum frame will require underplating with electroless nickel before hard chroming. Most platers charge a little extra for this. I would hard chrome the entire gun.
Or- I have a new finish that I'm promoting. It holds up about as well as all the other paints. I coat the gun with mud, & bake until it's dry. I call it "Trench Coat.";)

S/H, Bearcoat....

I'd add that $140.00 might be a bit hard if you include S/H & insurance. :rolleyes:
I think Bearcoat may include return S/H in the order(price) but you'd need to check. They also offer a lifetime warranty service.

Clyde

You've gotta try Duracoat by Lauers Custom Weaponry! Very good company that stands behind their products. I love the stuff and it really is tough!

I found a reputable local paint shop that will cerakote the gun for $100. It's a paint shop, not a gun shop. Gun has to be 100% disassembled. Only worry I have is removing the sights from the slide. Would you guys have the mags coated also? Thinking of having 2 or 3 mags done also.

I don't like any of the paint on coatings. IMO, hard chrome is the way to go, Mahovsky's Metalife will hard chrome your gun for $188 including return shipping. I had them do an old revolver for me not long ago, it came out great.

MRarms.com ....

I'd check www.MRarms.com . They offer a line of after market treatments in different colors. The price to coat a entire pistol(all parts) is $155.00. This includes a alloy frame.

FWIW; another gun forum post stated Cabelas treated a few weapons from several major vendors to R&D which brand to suggest to customers who ask. The project ran over a year in places like Alaska & safari trips in Africa.
Reportedly, Bearcoat beat all other services in terms of rust prevention, wear & other factors.

I can understand the paint coatings. They are easy to apply and offer more protection than bluing.
But these places that charge as much as a regular gun plating company to squirt a little paint on a gun are insane.
50-75 bucks, maybe- but why pay as much or more than a permanent coating for some paint?

I have to have this gun coated guys, its in bad shape! It was badly neglected by its previous owner.
The service includes 2 mags in the price. I'm debating wether to have just 1 done so I have matching mag or get 2 done.

I'm dropping the Kimber off tomorrow after work and in super excited. Ill post pics when its all done.
Let me know thoughts on mag coating.

Mags....

Some services like APWCogan.com advised me not to get carry magazines treated with Cerakote. :rolleyes:
I'd suggest paying the extra $10 or $25.00 to get 03 pistol magazines covered with NP3+, Black-T, Bearcoat, etc.
You carry the spare magazines more than anything. The might be exposed to the elements/wear than your pistol.

Clyde

Ok, so maybe I should just do 1 and keep my carry mags original. Why would you not want to coat carry mags? Should I even get 1 done? I just figured if they offer it with the service most people must like it!

Because it builds up tolerances, and because it wears off. It's paint. If you want something that lasts spend a tiny bit more and have the gun plated.

Back