Best grips for .44 mag recoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanfunk

Hi folks. I'm thinking about dressing up my 6 in. Model 29 with a nice set of wood grips. The question is, which ones? I'm experiencing pretty good control right now with the stock Hogue rubber monogrip, and I'm worried that switching to wood will increase percieved recoil. Anyone have any recommendations/experiences to share? I have medium sized mitts and fairly skinny fingers. Thanks in advance for your advice!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

My .44 Super RedHawk has the rubber Hogue monogrip, which I thought was great; for our anniversary my wife bought me a RedHawk, which I decided to dress up with the wooden monogrip. I too was worried about an increase in perceived recoil, but surprisingly the wooden grip actually (to me, anyway) is more comfortable to shoot than the rubber grip. The Hogue wood grips start at about 55 dollars, which is bad, but there is no question that they are (1) beautiful, and (2) very effective at taming the .44. It would be an EXCELLENT choice!

vanfunk, If you don't already have a shooting glove from PAST or Uncle Mike's etc., I think it's a good investment for practice sessions.

Thanks, Guys. I think I'm going to take advice from both of you. With the Hogue wood and a pair of shooting gloves, I could hit the range in style. One question, though: are the shooting gloves so thick that they increase trigger reach markedly? My trigger finger is just barely long enough for double action shooting with the big .44 (oh yeah, like I shoot my .44 double action alot). Thanks in advance for your replies!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

vanfunk - Good question on whether the glove decreases trigger reach. I just tried it and, yes, it does decrease the length more than I would have guessed. I have a Past glove and it decreased my trigger reach at least 1/4". This was with a Super Redhawk, but I don't think the gun really makes a difference. It should make the same decrease with all of them.

I wish Taurus would put out their "ribber" grips as an aftermarket item for other mfg's guns. I have heard nothing but good things about that grip.

vanfunk, Okay the gloves question puts us right back to the grips. If you get the right grips, the trigger reach shouldn't be a biggie. You specified wood, but I use the Pachmayer "Professional" (I think) rubber ones which leave the backstrap exposed so that I can do DA shooting. Maybe there are wood grips which have this feature--there should be, there is every style in the world it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back