Best for Snowshoe Hare and/or Ptarmigan?

Cosmoline

The search function is still off line, so forgive me if this is an old post. I'm looking for a shotgun for weekend snowshoe hare/ptarmigan hunting in South Central AK. I suspect I should aim for a 20 ga., but I'm no expert on shotguns. It needs to be tough enough to haul through devil's club and alder thickets yet light enough to carry around all day. I like the looks (and the price) of the single shot "Pardner" line from New England Firearms, but I know nothing of the company.

Also, what sort of shot should I use?

The NEF/H&R single sounds like a great choice,GRH, and a 20 ga might be a good approach for a tyro. Be advized that they do kick a bit, since they're lighter than most, in the same gauge.

Snowshoes are not something I'm familiar with hunting, but eastern cottontails are "reduced to possession' nicely with an oz of #6 shot.In a 20, I wouldn't go for bigger shot anyway.

I'd also add a recoil pad. If possible, get a modified choke,and try some patterning to see where it's shooting. That last is guaranteed to up your bag.

Enjoy!!

GRH. I notice you are planning on doing your shooting in Alaska. The majority of game up there in this category can be had with a club and sack. :) If you are required to shoot, you might want to get a .22 and save the money. Go for head shots. When hunting north of Wasilla with a 20ga, I noticed that I could walk to within 20 feet of most birds. When they did fly off, they'd only go about ten feet or so. If you do get a shotgun, a .410 Condender would be a good investment. That way you could sling it under a coat for when the weather turns sour. (check your local hunting regs but I think it's legal)

As for .22's, a 10/22 or Ruger MkII pistol with a 4x scope will serve you fine and might make longer Hare shots easier on you. Have you priced a box of .410 shells lately?

Back