best finish/most reliable refinishers for pistols?

jmstr

Hello everyone,

I have just picked up a blued Kahr K9 for a very reasonable price in a private party exchange. However, the bluing looks like it will rub off with an eraser. This is a pistol that will probably become a concealed carry weapon, and will also probably be handled a bit more roughly than the ones I only use at the range. I would like to have it refinished, but I also don't want to spend twice what it cost [around $325] to do so. I just want a simple, durable, decent looking finish. I am not thrilled at the thought of the 'white' finishes of Metalife, etc., but am considering them.

My two questions are:
1. What finish do you recommend [and why]?
2. Which refinisher has the best reputation
for doing high-quality work?
3. Which refinisher should I avoid like the
plague?

I would like the pistol to look 'nice', but am more concerned with price and durability/lubricity [is that a word?] of the refinished material.

Also, Should I get any custom trigger work and night sights installed before or after I have it refinished? I was leaning toward trigger work before, and have the refinisher install the nightsights [instead of reinstalling the originals]. Can you give me any advice?

Thanks,

Jason
jmstr@earthlink.net

Several friends have used Arizona Response Systems and love their finish (called Metacol, and similar to the Roguard finish.)

Mark, the owner, is a good gunsmith, and knows his stuff.

Visit http:\\www.arizonaresponsesystems.com

There is a photo gallery under the FINISHES option.

(Shooters on the SIG list swear by Mark, and he does factory refinishing for H&K.)

Thanks Walt,

I'll check this out. It sounds very promising. However, I am still poling for opinions to make a wise[?] choice. I really don't know much about the finishes available except Stainless Steel, Blued, and Parkerized, so I am developing my knowledge base to make a decision. Thanks again.

jason

I've heard bad things about Metacol III. Any black finish will wear. I highly recommend Horace Booth at http://www.fordsguns.com

He stands behind his work 100%. No questions asked.

I think you should either get hard chrome or electroless nickel that is heat treated to be as hard as hard chrome.

"I've heard bad things about Metacol III"

Incursion,

What bad things have you heard about Metacol III? Metacol III is an improvement on Roguard, which is a highly respected finish.

Rob

jmstr,

Hard chrome will hold up better than any of the teflon finishes. You can your Kahr done in all matte for a reduced "chromed" appearance. Companies I've had experience with and recommend would be:

•Accurate Plating & Weaponry
•Tripp Research http://www.trippresearch.com
•Metaloy (Berryville, AR)
•Checkmate Custom (FL)

Of the black teflon finishes I'd recommend Walt Birdsong's Black-T (Florence, MS).

As WESHOOT2 noted, Bob Cogan also does gunsmithing... and is very good.

Metalife..........Be sure to request their Firearm's specific brochure &/or discuss with them over the phone as their site is oriented towards Industry.

Cogan hard-fit a Nowlin barrel in one of my 9x19 Witnesses. WHOOOEEEE.

Tackdriver.

Has about 30-40K through it since, many Major 9, still perfect.
(Yes, he 'chromed it, too.)

Incursion,

I wouldn't call those things particularly bad. Any black finish will wear. Mark at ARS even says it will wear. Show me anything that has friction applied and I'll show you wear. You can say the same "bad" things about any finish. I wouldn't single out Metacol.

Rob

Back