Best exercises for shooting

bobo

I was wondering about this the other day.
Aside of surfing the pages of TFL what
do you think works best to develope strngth
for shooting. I personally think that bicycling is an excellant exercise for shooting. What do you think?

In the Shotgun Sports website chat board Jaybie Cantey, the National Sporting Clays champion, has a thread on this topic. It seems he began winning Sporting clays shoots when he entered college and joined the rowing team. Claims that it keeps him in shape and has helped his shooting.

http://www.shotgunsports.com/cgi-bin/webchat.cgi?category=Clay_Talk&num8045&statrnum=1

Look under the thread "Winter Training 2000"

Hope this works!

Anyway any exercise helps.When I shot smallbore in college many years ago the coach told us not to lift heavy weights the day we were to shoot, said it would make our muscles twitch! Being the loaf that I am I dutifully heeded his instructions.

I can see how being in good physical shape would help your breathing. Guess I should drag out that old Nordictrac and get on with it. (Wheeze huff puff)

Geoff Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited December 06, 1999).]

Archery. It takes greater concentration and steadiness than any shooting sport. In college, I couldn't hit crap with a handgun until I practiced archery for about a year.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

When I first started shooting offhand high power I could barely keep my shots on the target. I started running and doing exercises including pushups, curls, and situps. I also do wrist exercises where I have a weight tied to a string and I wind it up onto a dowel by twisting the dowel with my hands. After about three months of that, I started shooting mid-180s consistently, and have a few 190s to my credit. Used to, after about ten rounds my arms would start hurting from holding the rifle up but anymore I don't even notice it -- in fact, it seems like I get more stable after the first 5 or so shots, and then don't get tired for at least 40 more. I have found it makes a significant difference not to work out the day before I shoot. If I do, then the shaking comes on much sooner.

When I was younger, I used to practice the fast draw... I got to where I was FAST! But once I got as fast as I possibly could, I noticed that my forearm muscles would be sore by going from dead still to a blazing fast draw.

Ever since then I've used weights to strengthen my wrists and forearms. It helps.
Now, I can hold steady on target for minutes at a time if necessary. And my muscles don't get sore from drawing, nor shooting.

Back