Best defense rifle in CA

TCW

Hey, what's the best defense (medium range) rifle that I can still buy in California? Thanks!

The other rifles are an excellent choice. But the best California tool is the:

1. 7.62X39mm shorten SKS(Paratrooper).
2. Mini-14 or 30.
3. Winchester or Marlin Lever-action rifle.
4. Marlin 45ACP rifle or the Ruger .40S$W.

I wish they made the Ruger in .45ACP

------------------
"They may kill me, but there will always be more like me". -EDA

They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -EDA

"Giving up is not in my vocabulary". -EDA

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -EDA

SKS or Mini-14. Mini-14 high capactity magazines (Madsen, PMI, or Ruger) would be nice. The 30-30 at Wally World wouldn't be too bad either.

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited June 03, 2000).]

Madsen is making 10rd mags I believe, since smuggling is apparently out the question.

[This message has been edited by p l i n k e r (edited June 03, 2000).]

Depending on your budget, your desire to remain relatively PC, and your needs, I suggest a Marlin 30-30 fitted with ghost ring sights.

Saiga's are still available. B&B has one in 7.62x39 for $220 this week. I wouldn't suggest doing it, but it apears that they will accept full size mags by trimming the mag catch (maybe it's something you can do after fleeing CA).

What is the ideal caliber? Advantages of 44mag vs 3030 in power or distance? Also, what are the advantages of a lever over a bolt-action?Thanks

Lever action guns are usually limited to truncated cone type bullet, because of the way the cartridges sit in the tube magazine (bullet nose against primer). .30-30 is the highest power cartridge for lever guns (not really very knolwedgeable).

Bolt actions can use about any bullet type, including the ballistically superior Spitzer type. Anything from .22 short to .50 BMG can be had in a bolt gun.

Having lived in L.A.,I would most difinitely
go with a carbine style arm. Having left in 94,I no longer know what is legal. The SKS para. would be a good choice for L.A.
It's is kinda crude,but it is design as a fighting tool. It is semi auto,and hold more ammo than a bolt action which is not the right arm for L.A.
Also the lever action marlin in 44 mag will hold 8 or 10 shots depending on barrel lenght. The 30-30 would also be a good choice. There is a wonderful article in ASG magizine (sorry don't remember which issue) from about a year ago I believe,which talks about the .30-30 as a tactical weapon. Try to find this article,it is very informative.

I would go with a lever gun, didn't LA ban all SKS variants?
A good lever gun slicked up by a really good 'smith like Brockmann's in Idaho would be the way to go. I got a 30-30 worked by him a couple of years ago and LOVE it!
Get the takedown option and 30-30 Ackley Improved chamber.It's the cats meow!

TCW,

I think it's important to decide *where* you might need to use such a rifle. I live in El Lay, and I can't really see how an M1 would fit into my defensive scheme (that doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to own one!).

Medium range for me, in the city, is gonna measure out a lot different than it does for my pal up on the ranch in Mendocino County. Unless I stand in the middle of the street and fire down the block, there's no way that any shot I take will be longer than, say, 75m. And that's stretching it...

So limiting myself to 75m shots, which is really short range for a shoulder fired weapon, I'd say the largest accurate projectile available is a .60 slug, fired from a 12 gauge shotgun. I've practiced enough with 'em to know that they're effective and more accurate at that range than the operator is.

Or, as mentioned above, a lever action carbine remains a versatile weapon. Like a good shotgun, they are durable, dependable, and much less conspicuous than a "military" style weapon. .357 and .44 are good choices, certain "studies" have shown that revolver ammo continues to accelerate when fired from longer bbls, so those are good options. I like the short barreled Marlins. Gabe Suarez recommends the 30-30 as a gun to be carried in the trunk of a vehicle; but he is able to do that legally. And then of course there's the 45-70, one helluva big cartridge, also available in 1894-style rifles.

Hope this helps,
--
Brian

[This message has been edited by brionic (edited June 05, 2000).]

What about a pistol cal. carbine like the PC4, PC9, or marlin camp carbine? This is more of a question than a statement. I am eyeing a Ruger PC4.

I do like the idea of a .44 lever action. It is more "politically correct" than an autoloader and has more power at longer distances.

What is the effective range of pistol calibers from carbines? How far out would a .40 carry as opposed to a .44 or 9mm?

All things considered, however, I like a rifle round as opposed to a pistol round. That is why I got a mini-14. It is accurate enough for defensive purposes and .223 has some penetrating power (although maybe too much for in the city, eh?)

[This message has been edited by beastman (edited June 05, 2000).]

Curio and Relic SKS's, complete with bayonet attached, are perfectly fine to buy and own in CA. It's the SKS "Sporter" without the bayonet and/or with detachable mag that is despised in CA.

TCW,

In general lever guns are lighter and somewhat faster to operate than bolt actions. Most levers have a tubular magazine and are thus limited to flat nosed bullets. If by medium range you mean 50-100 yards either rifle or pistol caliber cartriges should be effective. 30-30 will probably shoot somewhat flatter than 44mag but either will kill reliably at that range.

Not all levers are tubular magazines, I have a fine savage Model 99 in 300 savage with a rotary magazine. Holds 5 shots of a relativly long range bottle neck rifle round in a light fast handling gun. 300 savage gets close to 308 Win performance, can fire a plethora of 308 caliber bullets and reloads easily. You can find these same guns in 308 Win as well. My uncle deer hunts with one.

If you are talking about urban defense, I agree a shotgun makes much more sense.

Doctari

Back