Best defense load for .32ACP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Inactive
Since I'm planning to get a .32 soon,I figured I need to find out what ammo I should keep in it.So, in terms of stopping power and reliability what ammo should I use?Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobby

Greetings. I believe Marshall and Sanow's stats show the WW Silvertip most effective of .32acp loads. That said, my wife's Walther PP remains loaded with factory Hornady XTPs as they feed with 100% reliability and in this light of caliber and bullet weight, I just feel better with a tad more penetration.
Best.

Fiocchi Ball? I hope your kiddin. :) There is no way a ball round is a better stopper than a hollowpoint. More reliable yes,better for defense no.Thanks for all the suggestions!! It doesn't seem that there is a clear winner at the moment.

Bobby

There has been some question as to the penetration of .25 and .32 hollowpoints. Quite a few "experts" have suggested ball ammo in these rounds, especially the .25's.
Which is better, a round that expands and travels 4", or a round that doesn't expand and travels 10"?
So don't discount Prichard's suggestion! That said, I use Winchester Silvertips in my Gaurdian.

[This message has been edited by kingknives (edited October 17, 1999).]

I have seen some gelatin studies with the current crop of .32ACP ammo, and they seemed to show that when the hollowpoints expanded, they did not penetrate very far. I'm from the "penetration before expansion" camp, so if I had a .32 for CCW, I would probably stoke it up with Gold Dot hollowpoints. They don't expand like the Silvertip or HydraShok in .32, but they penetrate much better and the hollowpoint cavity will cut through tissue better than ball if it does not expand. Ball would be my second choice if the Gold Dots did not feed reliably.

Fiocchi, Fiocchi, Fiocchi!

I would go with Fiocchi ball ammo (although my Guardian was loaded with Fiocchi SJHPs because that was all that was available to me around here). I've heard from alot of sources that hollowpoints do not achieve enough penetration until you get into .380 or larger calibers.

Check out these NAA Guardian velocities: http://www.naaminis.com/vel32new.html

Put a 4-5 in front of the ACP and I may have an opinion...
I hope you never have to defend yourself against a person with a bigger & more potent gun...
The .32ACP would be great in a knife fight though...

------------------
SURE SHOT

I'm going to have to go with the Win. Silver tips. In my Walther PP they were very reliable and accurate. If the gun won't shoot em' accurately or reliably then it won't matter if they expand or not. Anyway, no matter which load you choose be sure and try them out before you carry them.

[This message has been edited by preacher (edited October 18, 1999).]

I carry Silvertips during the warmer times of year, and Fiocchi Ball during winter. I'm seriously thinking about switching to Fiocchi Ball all of the time. Fiocchi has the hottest ball ammo available in 32acp.

I recently tested Silvertip with my Beretta Tomcat. 2 out of the 5 bullets I shot into ordnance gelatin didn't expand. I plan to also test Federal HydraShok and Hornady XTP with my Tomcat. Results will be published for everyone on our web site, probably in January.

I load my Tomcat with PMC 71gr FMJ. It is the only load this hits to point of aim.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Shawn, can I send you a MagSafe, a couple of Glaser Blue, and a couple of Gold Dots to try? I like the Federal myself, but am more of an exotic kind of guy. I do not want more than 6" of penetration. E-mail me if interested.

It kindof depends. If it is winter and the adversary is wearing a leather jacket, I've been told from a gunshop that 32 win st's won't go thru the jacket, thus you need fiocchi ball(alhthough I don't like Fiocchi).

If it is summer, ST's should do the trick.

I am not sure that Fiocchi ball is all that hot, but it produces minimal muzzle blast, has decent accuracy and feeds more reliably than anything else, in my experience.

The first two rounds in my Gaurdian are silvertips the rest are Magtech ball. I figure if the first two don't do the trick it's penatration that I need!!! Either due to a thick jacket, large BG, or the BG has taken cover.

I do this with all my carry/defence pistols (.32, .40 & .45)

Chris D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back