Best concealable shoulder holster rig?

KowHunter

Id like to get a concealable shoulder holster to carry a ruger P95... any of you know who makes some good quality ones that are easy to keep your gun concealed with when wearing a leather jacket or such?

KowHunter;
There are lots of choices, and nearly as many opinions, but for my money, Lou Alessi's Bodyguard rig is the best for the price. Well-made, comfortable, secure but fast. I've had over a dozen shoulder rigs, and Lou's is the best. I could drop lots of names of makers whose rigs I've tried and found unacceptable, but it would be rude on a public forum like this.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Sawbones - it wouldn't be rude at all. Just tell us why you found them unacceptable. Your reasons may or may not apply to my situation.

I'm tall and thin, so most horizontal rigs probably wouldn't work for me. FIST's pull through vertical rig looks interesting, but that's a chunk of money to spend just to find out.

Share your wisdom!

Morgan;
I just had an unpleasant interchange (on a different forum) with a holster maker who took offense at my negative ( but honest) description of his products, and I'm sensitive to the fact that some opinions may be better expressed privately than in public. My opinions have nothing to do with the business practices or ethics of the makers, otherwise I'd be happy to say something about that type of problem on a public forum. Since these are only my opinions about design, quality and comfort, I'm aware that others may disagree. When I'm home later (email access), I'll email you with some descriptions of what I've tried and not liked, and why.

------------------

Sawbones, I'm in the market for a sholder rig for my Colt 1911. Could you please send me some info on what has and has not worked for you also?

Joey;
I'll be glad to send you the same comments I sent to Morgan last night, when I get home tonight and have access to my email program.

------------------

Never had anything else to compare it to, but I'm extremely pleased with my Safariland "Gun Quick" black leather & polymer shoulder holster, fully adjustable for different pistols - seems to conceal mini Glocks very well. Only problem with this holster is the aluminum alligator clips will bend over time and become useless, so I had my local leatherworking guy put these awesome strong plastic teeth in place of the alligator clips, which are made so that the harder the upward pull, the tighter the clamp down on the belt, due to an interesting design. Plus they are black plastic instead of silver aluminum, so they are much more stealthy, in keeping with the looks of the rest of the holster.

the gun quick is properly named. Only if other leather shoulder holsters could come up with a design that could make drawing faster. Me and a friend of mine tried pacticing to see who could draw faster. I have the gun quick and he has a regular strong side holster. Our draws came out pretty even. Of course he has his hand closer to the gun. I have to move my hand all the way across my body to get to the gun. Due to gun quick's design, my draw came close to being even with the strong side holster draw.

I just had an unpleasant interchange (on a different forum) with a holster maker who took offense at my negative (but honest) description of his products, and I'm sensitive to the fact that some opinions may be better expressed privately than in public.

Sawbones - You may not remember but, I queried you about your shoulder holster observations several months ago. And you helped me narrow my decision down and order one product instead of two or three. So in a public forum I would like to encourage you to continue your open and "no holds barred" style of review. I have too many holsters that aren't quite right and I have "put up with" poor customer service that I really could have avoided.

It is through these open forums that we can all share the good, the bad and the ugly. Though we must practice a bit of diligence to keep things objective and not emotional (not that I saw any emotion in Sawbones' review).

-- Chuck

I like the Galco JackAss rig. It is comfortable as is, but if you find the harness straps too narow for your liking the SS109 (wide harness straps) harness may be just the ticket for you.

I`m looking into shoulder rigs for my 10mm Witness. The Quickgun is interesting. How does the draw sequence work with the spring? What does the rest of the harness consist of? Are the straps up to carrying a big heavy gun like my 10mm? Marcus

Back