Best Clone

davem

I am thinking about a Colt clone with a 7 1/2" barrel, early model with screw to retain cylinder, etc. Pin in the hammer, no transfer bar, and something that is of good quality. What are the better choices? I would prefer 44/40 but 45 Colt is okay. :cool:

With the redirection of USFA to a plastic .22, the selection is not great.
What you see is different importers selling Ubertis and Piettas.

I have an ASM, but they are defunct and you get the same model designation on a Uberti at Cimarron Arms.

Check out either the Ubertis or the Piettas - both are good.

I'm assuming you are looking for a 1873 clone on the BP frame - i.e. a screw retained cylinder pin?

I recently purchased a Uberti "Bisley" - a little later design that what you want but the quality is excellent and it's a great shooting handgun. What you're looking for can be order from Uberti or someplace like Taylor, Cimarron, etc. I purchased my Bisley from the LGS and paid less than list on it. If you buy from Taylor and Cimarron, you're buying an Uberti anyway and I really doubt you'd notice much difference in the quality in spite of what some folks think.

I got my Bisley in .357 as I reload and shoot a lot of 38 Colt Shorts, 38 Colt Longs, 38 Spls. and some 357 - both smokeless and black powder.

I like the feel of the Bisley for target shooting but would have no problem in buying another Uberti in the 1873 pattern - in fact, when I finally get around to reloading either 44 Russian/44 Special or 45 Colt, that's what I'll probably do.

I have to agree with bedbug!!
I had an ASM copy that was a really nice one. Great shooter. Very accurate. I fire lapped the bore and it was quite the tack driver! That was in the early '90's .

I don't have it anymore (but would gladly take it ) but I do have a little over a year old Uberti made El Patron Competition in .45 Colt that after a little extra tweaking is an awesome firearm and wouldn't trade it for the mentioned ASM!! It is a great shooter as well and I like the safety block in the hammer. I am comfortable enough with it to load six. It spends time as a carry for me as well as a Pietta made Remington with a six shot conversion cyl. (.45 Colt of course!). Both have 5 1/2 in tubes.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Back