Best cleaning practice for frame on 1911 etc

L. Boscoe

I don't have any problems with the slide and barrel, but the frame
has always been a question mark, when cleaning. Right now I spray the Mil spec stuff on the parts, give them a good brushing with a really narrow brush, and gently blow the parts to see if any
crud comes off.
Seems like I remember a video with a brush that was designed to
mop out the magazine well, which I could not find online, and I suspect there are other methods that the wise ones can share?
:cool:

I use an M16 cleaning brush. Looks like a toothbrush on the larger end, the end I use to scrub the mag well. For where the barrel lug and link sit in the frame the small end with short bristles works well.j

I use nylon brushes. You can use tootbrushes too, but some of the nylon brushes have a side with shorter bristles and I find that useful (that will depend on your toothbrush).

I spray on whatever cleaning solvent I have on hand ... I like Ed's Red Bore Cleaner in a Windex spray bottle , and scrub every nook and cranny with old tooth brusehes .
I have some with snall heads and they get in the tight places ... wipe everything down and spray with lube of choice . It's not critical when it comes to cleaning frame / rails ... just clean and lube . Grease is good on sliding parts too ... a light film of grease may be best on slide / frame rails .
Gary

Back